Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 136

Packwagon, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: rear axle seal
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
CLARIFICATION:

I am assuming that hte part numbers supplied by dallas are NOT PMCC parts cataloug part numbers but are rather some seal manufacturers part number.

Posted on: 2011/5/3 10:16
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
384215 & 324961 are Packard part numbers.

Posted on: 2011/5/3 11:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
Seal 384215---C/R-15176--National-410190

Seal 324961---C/R-22390-C/R-22382--National-473473

Posted on: 2011/5/3 15:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
WOW!!!! U found those numbers real fast. I assume those numbers are readily available at local parts stores?????

Posted on: 2011/5/3 15:33
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glad you confirmed those numbers posted earlier are good. Were they readily available? At least it means the Studebaker list I found online is apparently good for the inner seals. For the outer, one digit missing on the CR# which interestingly, was on two different xrefs as well and no mention of the National#. Did the second CR number you gave replace the first or just slightly different but will work?

No idea when or who compiled it but there are lots of numbers that look like Packard numbers on that list. Here is a link to ithttp://www.studebaker-info.org/Cb/MetalSealXch.txt for anyone who wants a copy and to take the time to see if any other seals can be crossed.

Posted on: 2011/5/3 15:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
Took it apart today . The # I gave are good the two c/r # one was 3/8 thick the other one was a little thicker inner and outter size on the two seals are the same both will work. My only problem is I had to order seals will come tomorrow.I will put back together then.
Also I did not find any shims.The backing plate had a gasket on the back that must be the shim? Not that hard of a job.Thanks for help.

Posted on: 2011/5/3 16:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The shims are made of metal shim stock of various thickness, and are shaped like the gaskets. You may not need any shims, but it is important to check the axle end play when reassembling. The procedure is in the manual.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/5/3 17:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As JW says, it's VERY important to have proper rear axle end play. It wouldn't be unusual to have no shims on one side and several on the other side.

Posted on: 2011/5/3 18:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
I see in the book that the clearance is .004 to .007. With out the checking gauge J-2560 what is the best way to check it?

Posted on: 2011/5/3 19:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Use a dial indicator. Harbour Freight or Enco 1-800-use-ENCO. I think thay can be had for about $30. IT's a general machine shop / custom automotive builders tool. Real ez to use. Comes with a magnetic base.

When a dial indicator is not available there are many well seasoned mechanics that can get it real close by feel.

BEFORE disassenbly, grasp the axle shaft or drum and work it back and forth to get a feel for the amount of end play.

Best method is to spring for the cheap version of the dial indicator. A most useful tool for a variety of refined clearence settings and diagnostics.

Posted on: 2011/5/3 22:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved