Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

56 400
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I remember seeing this Four Hundred sell at Hershey. It looked great. The buyers were going to drive it back down south. O_D, Ole and I all looked at the car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Packard-Four-Hundred-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26ituQ3dUCIQ26otnQ3d3Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d9039837220884103850QQ_trksidZp3286Q2em7QQitemZ150603124277

Posted on: 2011/5/9 19:13
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 400
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Agreed Randy, it does look like the same car. And weren't we shocked at what it sold for!!

Posted on: 2011/5/9 21:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
This car was sold at Barrett-Jackson 2 years ago when I attended. It sold for $41,800 per the BJ web site. It was a very nice car as far as I could see from behind the barrier ropes. Reference pricing, don't forget to add buyer premium (8%) and of course AZ sales taxes totaling another 8.6%.

Odd that she is being sold again so quickly?

Posted on: 2011/5/9 21:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Odd that she is being sold again so quickly?

No idea of the PA price but if it cost close to 50K in AZ, with a current buy it now price of 35K someone must have taken a huge loss or plans a write off or two.

Posted on: 2011/5/9 21:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If the same car, it sold at Hershey for A LOT more than $41,800 if I recall correctly. I do remembrer the price it sold at but think it's a bit inappropriate to mention it here; suffice it to say we were all a bit astounded by it.

Posted on: 2011/5/9 22:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Interesting, I believe this to be the same car I saw at the B-J auction last January. Isn't it interesting how some car go from auction to auction. I have never understood why this happens so often.

EDIT: Here is the B-J page highlighting the car and sale. Thought it was there again last January, but seems indeed it was 2010.

Posted on: 2011/5/10 0:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Auction prices listed by auction companies almost always include buyers premium, as it si in the interest of the auction firms to show cars selling at higher and actual (total) prices. On the B-J site referenced there is a note that the price includes the premium.

ON the subject of cars showing up at successive auctions. I believe that's either because the seller wants a higher price and keeps "shopping" it, or if it is declared sold then it really wasn't sold. (Figure out what is really going on).

At a "no reserve" auction with an 8% buyers and sellers premium it costs you 16% of the sale price to buy back yoiur own car, in this case about $6400. A very expensive proposition.

Doubting Thomas

Posted on: 2011/5/10 6:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
If it is such a pristine low mileage car, why did it need a partial repaint? Also,if it sold for over $50,000.00 at Hershey a year or so ago, why is it being offered now at a much lower price now? Must be something about this car we don't know about.

Posted on: 2011/5/10 7:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The young man who bought it at Hershey said it was being bought for a very large private collection in Texas, which I took, rightly or wrongly, to mean the John O'Quinn (or is it just Quinn?) collection. Following O'Quinn's death that collection was (still is being?) dismembered.

Posted on: 2011/5/10 7:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I do remembrer the price it sold at but think it's a bit inappropriate to mention it here

Why on earth is it inappropriate to mention what it sold for? Are we suddenly a colony of cloistered car collectors?

Price is fair game; doubly so when it is a matter of public record.

This site is about sharing interesting information....

Posted on: 2011/5/10 17:15
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved