Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 205

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Need help fixing/adjusting wiper arc
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Tripping this weekend with rain predicted every day.

Last time I used wipers, they seemed stuck in the narrow arc position. Moving the little "key" under the knob has no effect.

If they are going to be stuck, I'd just as soon have a wider arc.

What am I looking to do under the hood?

Stuck doing this by myself as everyone is out of town for a few days.

Thanks for advising. Kindly remember you are talking to the village idiot mechanically. Go slow and use small words.....

Posted on: 2011/5/10 17:53
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Need help fixing/adjusting wiper arc
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The little connection at center of wiper motor has to have vacuum to give a full sweep. That should be present if the lever is at the left or 8:00 position. If there is vacuum present at the hose and a small sweep, then most likely a problem in the motor sweep valve. If no or very low vacuum present, the hose connections at wiper switch may be backward or leaking. The valve is actually a small rubber block which connects the two ports. That may have dried and is leaking. Usually you can hear a slight hiss at the switch if that or reversed hoses is the problem.

Vacuum is supplied from the tee connection in 1/4" hose at motor top into a small 1/8 tube. That vacuum source goes into switch at the bottom front connection and out to wiper motor on the other. If backward, either correct at switch or reverse the two small hoses at the motor end.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.12 KB)
209_4dc9c8fdef96a.jpg 640X452 px

jpg  (24.61 KB)
209_4dc9c9093ab56.jpg 640X405 px

Posted on: 2011/5/10 18:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Ficken rebuilt the motor last year, so it should be good. Will try it tomorrow. Thank you for making this clear enough for me to understand.

If I recall correctly, my wiper motor has a flim can sized appendage on it. Is that a concern?

Posted on: 2011/5/10 19:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe you are speaking of the co-ordinator for the washer. A black cylinder & mechanism extending off the driver side. If so, that cylinder assembly slides but does nothing when you turn the switch knob. It is only in operation when using the washer & has a small wire which extends & turns the motor on and then back off after a few seconds. It should have a single hose going to the top of washer bottle.

Posted on: 2011/5/10 20:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Well, I went over to NAPA figuring new hose wouldn't hurt. It probably won't, if I can find it. Hose apparently no longer is sold from a roll; it now is sold in a pre-cut kit specific to your car. This is green, because there is no waste. By what I am sure is a remote coincidence, it costs considerably more and leads to out-of-stock and/or never made issues.

Progress!

I just hate to have to mail order small stuff like this. No offense to Fred (or other vendors).

Posted on: 2011/5/11 11:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I really dislike this new world of prepacked stuff. But various purpose and size rubber hose by the spool and by the foot is still common enough at some parts stores - try shopping around a bit more.

Posted on: 2011/5/11 11:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I don't know what the kind of hose you need is, but hardware stores such as Ace Hardware, still sell various hoses by the foot.

Posted on: 2011/5/11 12:54
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Pre-cut hose kits are not "green" as they require a cardboard backing and a plastic bubble to package them. A 50 foot rool is on a cardboard spool which can be recycled.
We do not sell items readily available in auto parts stores as there is no reason to ship[ them half way across the country when you can get them at the corner parts store.

This new development makes the bulk hose unavailable locally however. It is uneconomical for us to handle the bulk hose, however, as it costs us $25 to process
an order.

NO offense taken , it is what it is.

Posted on: 2011/5/11 14:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Fixed and working as new!

Thank you all....

Posted on: 2011/5/11 16:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved