Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 78

Psmith, happy, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
My 32 sedan has a 33 intake manifold and carburetor. I'm getting ready to hook up the vacuum line for the windshield wipers.

My question is could someone out there please take a few photos to show what the line looks like between the firewall and the manifold. Also, I would guess that there are several loops in the line to allow for movement. What diameter are these loops and is the line ?"?

Thanks Marty

Posted on: 2011/5/13 17:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There are others on this site who are more familiar with a 32 and will chime in with better information. But the intakes on 33 are considerably different than 1932, due in part to the the change from updraft to downdraft carburetion (though there was an update kit), the use of the Stromberg Model C automatic choke, and the vacuum power brake booster. On 33-34 there is a connection on the intake manifold via a flange and hardpipe that goes behind the engine to a junction at the rear on the driver's side. From there there is a takeoff for a hose to the power brakes, a small line for the Bijur chassis lubricator. If I recall correct and I'm going to take a look in the garage, the wipers are fed directly from the vacuum booster section of the fuel pump and the line runs up the left side A pillar.

The very small line with the loops on the manifold side of the engine is the feed to the oil pressure gauge.

PS - heading out to the garage to check on the wiper vacuum line.

Posted on: 2011/5/13 17:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
OK, went out to check on the 34 which is essentially similar to the 1933. The large vacuum take-off at the manifold heads rearward and splits on the manifold side of the engine at the very rear into two lines. (1) the painted line passes behind the engine and turns upward on the driver's side to the power brake booster valve and from there to the booster; a small takeoff from it feeds the Bijur.

The 2nd line, slightly smaller diameter and nickel plated, crosses behind the engine to the driver's side, turns forward at the base of the crankcase and connects to the feed side of the vacuum booster section of the fuel pump. The vacuum pump outlet connects via a flexible line, runs with hardline along side the frame rearwards under the fascia, and emerges at the cowl to a small copper line that runs upwards and into the A pillar to feed the wipers.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2011/5/13 18:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Marty,

On the '32, loop for the vacuum line is 3" on the O.D., line is .375" O.D.

Oil pressure line is .125" O.D.

I've attached a few engine pictures.

Regards,

Dave

Attach file:

jpg  (19.36 KB)
1584_4dcf0adaf104a.jpg 394X336 px

jpg  (21.31 KB)
1584_4dcf0ae1f2b4e.jpg 448X336 px

jpg  (43.16 KB)
1584_4dcf0ae952cde.jpg 448X297 px

jpg  (23.03 KB)
1584_4dcf0af067a88.jpg 448X298 px

jpg  (20.78 KB)
1584_4dcf0af944d7c.jpg 448X297 px

Posted on: 2011/5/14 18:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Dave,

Thanks for the pictures. This should give me a good start on figuring out how to run the lines on my modified intake manifold / carburetor setup.

Posted on: 2011/5/14 20:16
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved