Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

29 standard 8 head gasket
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I have a new copper head gasket for the engine should I put anything on it.I have been a mechanic for 30 years and have had no problems with fiber gaskets but had limited success with copper.the head will be surfaced and pressure checked before installtion.

Posted on: 2011/5/21 4:22
 Top  Print   

Re: 29 standard 8 head gasket
Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
29tons,

I've had good results using a copper spray on both sides of the head gasket.

http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_sealants/auto_Permatex_Copper_Spray-A-Gasket_Hi-Temp_Adhesive_Sealant.htm

Regards,

Dave

Posted on: 2011/5/21 7:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
One of the big benefits stated for the copper spray is the dissipation of heat, copper is very good at that. But the head gasket surface is made of pure copper and you can't improve on that. The spray also fills small irregularities, but as far as I know, a small "chip" out of a block or head will not compromise the gasket. Teh main reasons for head gasket failure are a warped head and improper torquing, neither of which will be solved by a spray.

From 1900 to 1960 or so, before this spray was invented, copper cylinder head gaskets served well in humdreds of millions of cars. I don't see the need for it now.

Will it hurt?? Probably not.

Posted on: 2011/5/21 7:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear 29:

Typical gasket sealers are not rated by the manufacturers for high pressure, high temperature, applications like head gaskets. Thus, Packard specified a thin coating of white (preferably calcium) grease.

Do not mill the cylinder head unless it is absolutely neccesary. There is a discard limit on milling Packard heads of around .035 for the 8. I'd wager that most of them are already past this limit.

Be sure that the nuts spin down on the studs and that they are in good condition. Any doubts, replace them all.

Good luck

Posted on: 2011/5/21 7:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I agree fully with Tim. DO NOT surface the head unless it's absolutely essential, and you're first made some measurements of valve head clearances to determine you won't have any interference problems.

Many an otherwise good cylinder head has been sent to the scrap yard by unnecessary surfacing and it's pretty much an irreversible process. Forget about double-head gaskets and the like - they are not particularly reliable solutions to the problems that come from unnecessary metal removal. I've not seen mention of a number that would be the permissible warpage in a head, but from personal experience ten thousandths or so never presents a problem.

Posted on: 2011/5/21 8:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
thanks for the advice Tom

Posted on: 2011/5/22 3:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved