Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

29 Radiator Removal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Paul_K
See User information
Looks like it's time to rebuild the water pump. The pump shaft has about 3/16" end play and the Chevy rear main seal I used for packing wasn't the best idea but it did last a few years.

Several questions I have: Can I remove the radiator and shell as a unit? Two: Who is a reliable rebuilder of Packard water pumps? Who makes quality gaskets for the 388 Engines?

And yes, I am going to pull the water jacket.

Posted on: 2011/5/22 13:50
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE FLAMES COMING OUT OF THE STACK< YOU ARE NOT RUNNING TO YOUR FULL POTENTIAL.
 Top  Print   

Re: 29 Radiator Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
(1). Arthur Gould Rebuilders has a very good reputation and has been doing pumps for the hobby for decades.

(2). Egge Machine's gasket set is used by many of the Packard engine rebuilders, and I'm sure Kanters and Max Merritt's are quite satisfactory as well. I assume you meant a 385 engine, not a 388.

You can Google the above names for contact information.

Posted on: 2011/5/22 15:10
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Paul_K
See User information
I always thought it was 388 but thats what I get for thinking. Egge's isn't too far from me. I will call Gould, even if they are in Kings Park NY (one town over from where I grew up)

Any ideas on the radiator removal?

Posted on: 2011/5/22 15:20
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE FLAMES COMING OUT OF THE STACK< YOU ARE NOT RUNNING TO YOUR FULL POTENTIAL.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
If it is like a 32, you remove the radiator, shell and shutters all as one unit. You then remove the shell and then the shutters to get at the radiator.

Posted on: 2011/5/22 23:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved