Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 142

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Starter Motor Lubrication
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Hello again...

My 54 L8 327CI 165HP (you probably know that already) is advertised to have a hinge cap oiler somewhere on the electric starter motor. I cannot seem to find it. Sounds like the starter shaft is getting a bit dry when it spins down to a stop after the car is started. Could someone tell me where this hinge cap is located? If my starter doesn't have one, is there an alternate way to provide some lube for it?

Thanks Again, as always!

Posted on: 2011/5/26 11:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Starter Motor Lubrication
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The cap oiler is at the forward end to oil the bushing or bearing. If your oiler is missing, they're readily available from any of the industrial supply houses like MSC and McMaster-Carr.

There is no lubrication provision for the drive end.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 12:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Owen,

I searched high and low for the hinge cap oiler or even a small threaded port for a hinge cap oiler on the front/forward end of the the starter motor. I can't find anything. Is it possible some starters are not so equipped? There is a flexible steel band that clamps on to the front of the starter that, when removed exposes the brushes and commutator (?). Is the oiler possibly located in this area? If not, would it be ill advised to shoot some WD40 onto the forward area of the shaft with the spring steel band removed?
I appreciate your thoughts.

Posted on: 2011/5/27 19:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have an Autolite, it is possible there is no oil hole. The Delco has one as shown but the Autolite appears to not in it's picture. The 54 manual mentions lubing the Delco in the instructions but doesn't specify any procedure for the Autolite whereas the 55-6 manual on Autolite shows the same picture of the motor end and says there is no oiling. I would not use WD40 as it will get on the commutator.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.22 KB)
209_4de0503e61281.jpg 179X268 px

jpg  (12.31 KB)
209_4de050486e616.jpg 254X239 px

jpg  (9.97 KB)
209_4de05051129b5.jpg 150X233 px

jpg  (12.97 KB)
209_4de0505c8fb23.jpg 354X124 px

jpg  (10.74 KB)
209_4de05074c49dc.jpg 349X89 px

Posted on: 2011/5/27 20:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
HH56,

That is some great information. I will leave well enough alone until reconditioning of the motor is required. I will try to verify if the unit is manufactured by Autolite. Based on your info and schematics, it must be.

Thanks for all your effort in this reply!

Posted on: 2011/5/27 20:39
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved