Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
177 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 176

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Distributor Grease Cup
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
When we rebuild a distributor we always remove the grease cup. Under the wide part it is hex shaped. With the distrib stil in the car it is easy to remove the cup with a small wrench. Sometimes the grease is hardened, poke hole clear with a stiff wire, soak cup to dissolve grease. Repack and get the air out so it starts to grease right away.

Posted on: 2011/5/28 15:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Fred,

One more quick question on the grease cup. I cleaned out the orifice on the distributor and cleaned the cup and repacked it with grease. Screwed the cup on about half way. Noticed the distributor appears to be making a whirring/low whine now..at least I think it's coming from the distributor. Might this be an indication of underlubrication or overlubrication? Appreciate your thoughts again.

Thank You

Posted on: 2011/5/28 18:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Factory service manual gives only one possible expalanation. The high voltage is interfering with your hearing aid. I will however make an exception and override their idea. Nothing I can think of would give this result from the grease cup. NOises under the hood can be elusive, there's lots of stuff rotation, whirring , moving etc.

If it's outside the engine block (manifold gskt, fan belt, etc), take a piece of wiper vacuum hose put one end to your ear adn fish around with the other. If inside the block or inside generator a wooden "listening stick" can be used. Wooden handle snow brush, short broom handle etc.

Put one end pressed to yoyur ear, other end on suspected area, move it around and yiou can find it.

Whirring sound, most likely generator, real close to distributor

Posted on: 2011/5/28 23:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Fred,

Thanks for that reply. It never occurred to me to have my hearing aid adjusted to compensate for the ambient voltage near the distributor. I will make sure to adjust that puppy before I do any more distributor work. HAAAAAAAAAAA you are quite the comic and I appreciate your sense of humor.

Thanks for all your help with everything....it is sincerely appreciated.

Warren Stevens

Posted on: 2011/5/29 10:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
I am not sure if this is relevant to post-war cars, but I found a spring-loaded carbon (?) brush thing in my 32 light eight distributor (pictured below). I don't know it's purpose, and I am not certain it is made of carbon. However, it if its present in older distributors I can see it making a low whine if the carbon(?) bit was worn to a nub.

If this is an obvious bit that a little research would illuminate, I apologize in advance. There is certainly nothing in the parts manual to indicate what this bit is or does.

Tom

Attach file:

jpg  (44.60 KB)
333_4de2daaee46d5.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2011/5/29 18:45
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
I believe this is the center contact on the inside of the distributor cap. I transfers the coil spark to the center of the rotor which in turn "distributes" it to each cylinder contact whiloe whirling around.

Or it may Warren's old fashioned hand cranked hearing aid.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 19:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Fred,

The spring doo-hickey (aka framistam) is located within the body of the distributor under the grease cup, and rubs against the distributor shaft.

I have attached a 1000 words below showing where the framistam was found.

Tom

Attach file:

jpg  (51.45 KB)
333_4de3a0a7c7535.jpg 708X725 px

Posted on: 2011/5/30 8:50
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tom, I have never seen one of these spring loaded carbon rods behind the grease cups in any Junior distributor. Some Auto Lite distributors have a spring loaded carbon rod in the center terminal of the distributor cap. All the Junior distributors I have seen just have the grease cup. It must be a Senior thing. What does you parts manual show? Stay cool.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/5/30 9:42
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've taken apart a lot of grease cups for cleaning, both juniors and seniors, never seen anything like that nor do I understand what function it would serve. Similar grease cups are still readily available new and have no such arrangement. I've see "wicks" in shaft and generator oilers, but grease cups just have an open passage to the bushing.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 10:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Most interesting, certainly nothing original Packard about it. Carbon(graphite) is a lubricant and perhaps someone had an idea to put this framitam in to eliminate the need for grease. I would't rely on it as the lubricant has to flow to the bushing surfaces. The graphite will lubricare just a point where it rubs if it contacts the rotation shaft at all.

I'll stick with the hearing aid theory.

My father always told me that if I can't be right at least be funny

Posted on: 2011/5/30 10:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved