Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Looking for shims in all the wrong places...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dear All,

When disassembling my replacement distributor for the 32 900, I found a fiber shim washer below the plate that holds centrifugal advance weights. unfortunately, it broke in two when I picked it up.

It is ID 0.5", OD 0.875", Thickness 0.020"

I have looked for such a washer at SmallParts.com, McMaster, and MSC. I can find steel or aluminum washers that are close, though the OD is usually 0.75 or 1", not 7/8". I cannot find an exact match, and I can't find a fiber washer that is even close.

Anyone have any idea of where to look? Would it be OK to use brass or steel instead of fiber? If I can use brass I can make my own from shim stock.

Tom

Attach file:

jpg  (17.08 KB)
333_4de3cb12de45a.jpg 320X264 px

Posted on: 2011/5/30 11:52
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Re: Looking for shims in all the wrong places...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
I forgot, I am also looking for hinge pins that retain the distributor cap clamps. They are 1" L x 0.089" Dia and they are hollow.

I am sure someone carries them, but I have no idea what they are officially called, so my searches have come up nil.

A proper name for the item would be great.

Thanks,

Tom

Attach file:

jpg  (11.89 KB)
333_4de3d141baf43.jpg 270X320 px

Posted on: 2011/5/30 12:17
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
From someone who can't be trusted to really know but operates on gut hunches, would a nylon washer or mylar washer work? Like at Ace Hardware?

The benefit of this comment is that someone who knows will rush in to spare you a disaster...and you'll get your answer.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 12:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are several places that sell various grade brown phenolic sheets in .020 thickness although it appears most have fairly high minimum orders. Not knowing the purpose of the shim or if it takes motion, it's hard to guess if fishpaper would work. That is a very hard resin bonded compressed and smooth paper like material used in electrical insulation. More flexible than the phenolic and not too terrible to cut. Washers are made from it but not sure how moisture resistant it would be--although it is used inside electrical oil filled transformers. McMaster carries it in small size .020 sheet.http://www.mcmaster.com/#fishpaper/=cj5im6

Maybe tubular rivet on the pin name.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 12:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
There are several places that sell various grade brown phenolic sheets in .020 thickness although it appears most have fairly high minimum orders.

I was hoping to find them already manufactured. But I guess I will try to find some thin stock phenolic sheets. Thanks for the idea.

Quote:

Not knowing the purpose of the shim or if it takes motion, it's hard to guess if fishpaper would work.

It does take motion, the motion of the centrifugal advance plate, so I don't think fishpaper will work.

Quote:

Maybe tubular rivet on the pin name.

Thanks, I will try that!

Quote:
The benefit of this comment is that someone who knows will rush in to spare you a disaster...and you'll get your ans

Thanks for the help!

Posted on: 2011/5/30 13:56
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tom, do you suppose a thrust washer from a starter might work? I seem to recall that some starters used a thin fiber washer. Ask Texas Alternator Starter Service, they may have a drawer full of them.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/5/30 14:35
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
John,

That is a great idea! I will drop by there tomorrow on my way to work.

Thanks,

Tom

p.s. Any bright ideas about the pin? No tubular rivets that I can find will work.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 15:26
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information

Posted on: 2011/5/30 21:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tom, you asked if I had any bright ideas. Well, here is one, but it is probably about a 15W rated one. Large catalog binders use a fastener that looks like your tubular rivet. Actually they are in two pieces one is like a nut and the other is like a bolt. Screw together binder posts I believe they are called. If all else fails, Office Depot, Breed & Co. ...

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/5/30 22:01
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dave and John,

I have already checked with Hanson Rivets and JC Rivets, as well as MSC and McMaster. Any rivet of the correct width is far to short. As for catalog binding pins, they are long enough but not thin enough (0.09"). I did, however, find some long thin machine screws (2-56 x 1") at smallparts.com that I think will work. I will update this thread when I find a solution.

Thanks again,

Tom

Posted on: 2011/5/31 6:41
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved