Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 165

Paul E. Gallagher, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'Squeaky' Clutch Pedal
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
1954 Packard Clipper Super. I have lubricated the grease fittings on the clutch pedal shaft and what I think are all the pivot points on the clutch pedal linkage mechanism. Yet, when I depress the clutch pedal I still get a quite audible 'squeak' from under the car that sounds like a dry spring stretching. The sound is comparable to the sound of a creaky door hinge.

Any ideas on any pivot points or other parts of the clutch linkage that my lube efforts may have missed? Would like the clutch actuation to sound quiet and....'Packard-like.'

Thanks again, in advance, for all your help and suggestions with my car.

Posted on: 2011/6/10 15:04
 Top  Print   

Re: 'Squeaky' Clutch Pedal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Are you sure it's not the sound of the pedal arm lightly scrapping against the metal toe board? Lift the carpet up and take a look if you haven't already done so. 22nd and 23rd series are pretty notorious for that.

Posted on: 2011/6/10 17:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Owen,

I pulled up the carpet to throw an eye on where the pedal assembly shaft/casting moves through the toe board. It appears that there is no rubbing or conflict. The squeak/creak appears to be coming from the clutch pedal return spring, so I just sprayed some white grease/lubriplate on it. Hopefully it will work its way into the spring and silence it. The heavy duty return spring looks fine and like it was made to last for a hundred years like everything else on the car.

Thanks for your help!

Warren

Posted on: 2011/6/11 18:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
The heavy dity "100 year" spring is probably not the return spring, it is an assist spring to make the effort of disengaging the clutch less. Regardless, any spring itself will most likely not make a squeak, it will hawever make a noise where it attaches. If you have help have someone depress the pedal while you feel around to find the source of the squeak. Use caution, don't exceed 20 mph.

Posted on: 2011/6/11 18:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved