Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 118

Duane Gunn, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Which one to buy: 110 Six or 120 Eight?
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

I was looking up the torque specs for 1940 makes competitive with Packard, and a question for the Forum to bat around occurred. First the figures:

Engine, cubic inch, compression ratio, torque/RPM, hp/RPM
Six..........245..............6.39........195 @ 1200...100 @ 3200
Eight........282..............6.41........225 @ 1700...120 @ 3600
Eight........356..............6.45........292 @ 1800...160 @ 3500

The set up: You're a new car buyer, at the Packard dealership, seriously considering which one to buy. As much as you'd love a 160, it's out of your price range.

You're also after a family four door touring sedan, convertibles are just a dream. The Packard will be your only daily transportation, all the factors that go into such a decision have to be considered.

The dealer invites you drive both 110 and 120, which you do. The difference in driving characteristics and price will determine which you will purchase.

Now, which one do you buy?
110?
120?
Why?
Convince me one way or the other!

Steve

Posted on: 2011/6/11 7:19
 Top  Print   

Re: Which one to buy: 110 Six or 120 Eight?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I'd just have to buy them both so i won't regret the decision later!

Seriously though, i'm guessing that both made excellent daily drivers. Especially back then, it may come down to how well i was doing financially that month. Did i get that extra $5 a month raise i was looking for? Finally sell that old chevy i drove since i was a kid for $50? Maybe jucy $250 income tax return coming in?

I'm sure the 110 would do, but we'd all like to have the eight, especially after driving it side by side with the 6. If i could afford it, i'd get the 120 and tell my wife to hush, we can afford it and it's a Packard, we'll have it forever.

Posted on: 2011/6/11 10:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And to go along with cortcomp's thinking, I believe even then there was a lot of keeping up with or even one upping the Jones' mentality. Just coming out of the depression, lowly Chevys were sixes but "we're buying a Packard now and if we can afford it why not". I expect the extra horsepower could also have been a factor for the man of the house.

Posted on: 2011/6/11 10:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The One-ten is a fine motor car, but I would go for the One-twenty. Eight cylinder engine, smoother and more powerful, especially with overdrive. Longer wheel base, more room inside and smoother riding. Nicer interior in the One-twenty too. Plus, I think the longer front end on the eight looks better and goes better with the body styling than the shorter one on the six.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/6/11 11:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
The 120 is not bigger inside than the 110 or for that matter the 127" wheelbase 160/180. The all shared the identical body. The shorter 110 is due to the shorter hood.
The 160/180's with the 138"/148" wheelbases had longer bodies and more room inside

Posted on: 2011/6/11 13:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
The 110 started at $996 vs. $1239 for the 120. The 110 sales were 62300 vs. 28138 for the 120. The sales winner is clear but how many 110 buyers could have just as easily afforded a 120?

If most 110 buyers were just eeking it out to get into their first Packard then it is pretty clear the 120 was the choice to make, as whitnessed by the choice that was made by folks back in the day who could afford either.

If on the other hand most 110 buyers could have afforded a 120 and instead said "no thanks, not worth it" then the reverse is the case.

I am inclined to Ask The Men Who Have Owned One. Seems from the comments above the choice is 120.

Paul

Posted on: 2011/6/11 20:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Since 1899 Packard was an aspirational car, the one many desired but few could afford. When the 120 was introduced in 1935 it was an instant success and by 1937 over 100,000 junior cars were sold. More six cylinder cars (115C) were sold than 8's (120C's). This indicates to me that buyers were either cross shopping with "lesser" cars of equal price like Buicks to get the prestige of a Packard as Packard ads told them to or moving up from lower priced cars
to show they had "arrived".

The speculation of how many 110 buyers could have easily afforded the 120 can be looking at the negatives of buying a 120 if one could easily afford it.

1.Won't fit in the garage. Few cars were garaged, 5" difference
2.Too flashy in hard times. Hard to distinguish from a 120
3.Too expensive to repair. Hard pressed 6 vs loafing but more to repair 8. A draw.
4. 120 included more std equipment. NO , equally equipped
5. 120 used more gas. Yes, a negative to some but surely not to the ones who could "easily " afford a 120.

The six sold better because for 20% less you got 95% as much car. My conclusion is that nearly everyone who could have afforded a 120 would have bought one instead of a 110.

Posted on: 2011/6/11 21:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
This is an impossible question to answer as it depends very much on the circumstances, not all of them financial.

Example: J P Gotrocks the bank president is looking for a family car. He is a long time Packard owner and feels a Packard strikes the right note of conservative respectability, an important factor in his business. The depression is over but a lot of people are suspicious of their bank's solvency.

The Packard six is just the ticket. It is solid and respectable without being flashy. Light and maneuverable with its short wheelbase and easy to park. Speed is not a big factor as most of his driving is back and forth to work in city traffic.

Second example: Nick Santorini is a prosperous grocer with a large family. He always wanted a Packard and now he can afford one. He seldom uses a car because he walks to work and his business keeps him busy until late, 6 days a week. But once or twice a month on Sunday he goes to visit relatives in various parts of the country. He likes the eight cylinder 120 model, he can afford it, and the gas mileage is not a big factor for the amount of driving he does.

Examples could be made up endlessly. One quip sticks in my mind. Supposedly when they introduced the 110, a Packard executive said "We already have the Episcopalians, now we are going after the Methodists".

Posted on: 2011/6/11 22:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Another remark comes to mind, this time from Bentley's sales director. During a business trip to the US in the late twenties he learned that the auto business in America was quite different from England.

He said that in America if someone wanted a car he went out and bought one that fitted his budget and social position. If he could not afford a car he simply did without. The sports car enthusiast which was Bentley's main market in England, was practically unknown.

By this reasoning it is evident that the lower priced model will sell better. Some will look at it as a big step up from their old Ford, some because they prefer it, others because it is what they can afford.

Posted on: 2011/6/11 22:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

fred kanter wrote:
The 120 is not bigger inside than the 120 or for that matter the 127" wheelbase 160/180. The all shared the identical body. The shorter 110 is due to the shorter hood.
The 160/180's with the 138"/148" wheelbases had longer bodies and more room inside

Fred, you are absolutely correct, except for your typo.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/6/11 22:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved