Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
35 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 35

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Phosphorescence
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Well, it is not as spectacular as an exploding nuclear power plant but at least it emits visible radiation. The talk is of a phosphorescent gimmick to illuminate the handholds in a ZIL-111.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.41 KB)
757_4df385a3bd5fd.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (15.51 KB)
757_4df385b090cb5.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (2.10 KB)
757_4df3977e1b9a7.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2011/6/11 10:12
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Re: Phosphorescence
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THe same was used on wrist watches for decades.

Posted on: 2011/6/11 10:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
THe same was used on wrist watches for decades.

And most of those watches had radium dials. One factory had many of the girls painting the dials sick with radiation poisoning & was shut down in 34. Resurfaced with a new name-- maybe a different process --but essentially same materials until NRC shut it down in 78 leaving the contaminated sites.http://www.roger-russell.com/jeffers/radiumdials.htm

I don't know if the Soviet Union was terribly concerned about details like a little extra radiation or if they used the old style paint but if so, would imagine someone holding onto those handles for a while might get more than he bargained for.

Posted on: 2011/6/11 10:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Guscha. Are u sure those are not ash trays????

Posted on: 2011/6/11 10:41
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Someone makes the paint now, and it's non-hazardous i believe...it's a little slimy though, tough to work with on small parts. I used it on my clocks hands in the 50 that were peeling and breaking off paint chips. It looked ok, but again a little thick and goopy, like chunky elmers glue. If you really mixed it up and used the less-slimy part it may be handled smoother.

Posted on: 2011/6/11 12:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Here it is!:

http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28_45&products_id=384

Seems they're out at the moment. I had a TON left over after doing the clock hands. Blended well with the factory dash during the day, a bit brighter than the factory numbers at night.

Posted on: 2011/6/11 12:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some of the larger hobby shops carry a luminescent paint as well. Don't know if it is that one you show (which must be popular because I believe it was also out of stock last time someone posted that unitednuclear link) of if it's the tritium based paint.

Either one is a far cry from the old stuff. Remember back many years ago in school one of my old xray radiation safety texts had a picture of a man with a permanent skin erythema on his body. That was caused because for years he had worn a pocket watch in a vest pocket many hours a day with the numerals facing his chest.

Posted on: 2011/6/11 12:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...I don't know if the Soviet Union was terribly concerned about details like a little extra radiation or if they used the old style paint but if so, would imagine someone holding onto those handles for a while might get more than he bargained for.

Howard and Mike, I believe that back in the late 50s radiation wasn't THE issue. I was told that in those days many a well-situated shoe stores had so-called Pedoscopes to control the fit of new shoes.

Click to see original Image in a new window

[picture source: www.physikmuseum.at]

Attach file:

jpg  (40.56 KB)
757_4df3d3e25d6da.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (31.26 KB)
757_4df3d3f169983.jpg 500X376 px

jpg  (41.42 KB)
757_4df3d4056d5a3.jpg 500X641 px

Posted on: 2011/6/11 15:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Guscha. Are u sure those are not ash trays????

Keith, one of the rear ashtrays is installed in the middle between the mentioned handholds.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.74 KB)
757_4df3db14682c0.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (19.10 KB)
757_4df3db1e575ac.jpg 500X210 px

Posted on: 2011/6/11 16:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I remember those shoe machines very well. There was one in a store in downtown in El Paso. Believe the name was Popular Dry Goods. When I was a kid, the folks would make the trip to shop & visit Moms sister maybe every other month or so. Sometimes one of my friends would go with us, other times we'd grab my aunt and a cousin or two and hit the stores. Whomever I was with, we would make a big issue of going to the shoe dept so we could see our toes wiggle. As I recall, there was no key or anything needed to make that particular one work. More than once the adults got occupied leaving us kids to get into trouble and more than once we were chased out by a salesman. They finally got rid of the machine in the mid to late 50's.

Posted on: 2011/6/11 16:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved