Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 213

Don B, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 Patrician Ignition pieces
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

markinroseburg
See User information
Finally going to try and get my 51 Patty running. Trouble is I am having a heck of a time finding parts at my local stores. NO one seems to have books that go that far back - and the pimple faced kids behind the counter thought a Packard was a computer. I am sure it is an autolite system. The Standard Ignition book I was able to get my mitts on was not helpful. Any part numbers and help would be kindly accepted.
Mark

Posted on: 2011/6/13 10:56
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 Patrician Ignition pieces
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Charts with current Standard and Echlin/NAPA numbers have been posted on this site quite a few times - search around a bit and you should find them easily. Most of these parts, excepting vacuum advance diaphragms and one particular set of Auto-Lite points, are commonly available once you know the numbers. Or you could always go to Kanter's or Max and buy their tune-up kits. If you can't find the charts, let us know and I'll dig them out and repost yet again.

Posted on: 2011/6/13 11:00
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
What parts are you looking for exactly? Also have you checked the Parts X-Ref here on the website?

Posted on: 2011/6/13 11:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave, I wonder if we can get those parts numbers extracted from the Napa catalog and put into the X-Ref. Might be helpful going forward.

Posted on: 2011/6/13 11:05
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
While we are on this, I have a question for my '50. My starter solenoid seems to have gone out, does anyone know of a place to get one of those, and do the rebuild kits take care of them? I would like to get it locally to save time, if that is possible. Is there a crossover part number for that? We have a NAPA about 30 miles away. My car is Autolite, it's a 327.

Posted on: 2011/6/13 11:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev - here they are again. If you have a way to "extract" the data, great. BTW, the AL-5255XP points are discontinued but replaced by a substitute number which I have jotted down somewhere but it escapes me for the moment.

PS - found it, replaced by Standard's AL-869.

Attach file:

jpg  (278.41 KB)
177_4df63fcd91efa.jpg 1025X1600 px

jpg  (275.96 KB)
177_4df63fd834408.jpg 1282X1600 px

Posted on: 2011/6/13 11:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
The points AL-5255 are Packard 354263 which fit 40-50 160/180/Custom with 356 motor. We have plenty in stock.

There is a question from Paul Weeks on a starter solenoid for a 1950, but the exact model is not stated nor is Autolite/Delco specified. Thsi information is essential to identify exactly what part is needed. If it is a Custom 8/356, then the solenoid is Packard only and not available in the aftermarket.

There is/was no rebuild kit available in the aftermarket

Posted on: 2011/6/13 14:13
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I added many of the ignition parts from the Echlin list above to the Parts X-Ref.

Posted on: 2011/6/13 14:14
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Wow, what a wealth of information!! I am going to print the attachments and keep them with the car's folder. Much thanks O.D. and Kevin.

Fred, as far as the solenoid goes, it turns out I don't need it! The battery was mostly dead, lights lighted but no engine turn over. My brother-in-law thought the key "off' position was the far left, accessory position. It was in that position for 5 or 6 days! Those dry cell batteries are a wonder!

Thanks again for the information, after I wash my baby, we are going for a drive!

Posted on: 2011/6/13 16:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Paul,

Good news, all's well that ends well. Now you might consider replacing your brother-in-law.

Posted on: 2011/6/13 18:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved