Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 73

John Sauser, BigKev, waynecain, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Shocks from a popular vendor have fit issues....
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I bought a new set of shocks for this year and had them installed locally. After messing with the X-ref, I decided to bite the bullet and go with an established Packard vendor.

Took the car in for another issue to the local Packard expert and got a call that I seemed to have the wrong shocks installed in front, as there was metal to metal rubbing from a dust shield.

It is the second time in a year that a Packard vendor has supplied an incorrect part. Last fall another famous vendor sent grease seals for the front wheels that were the wrong thickness.

The time involved in correcting these issues adds up, and is really annoying, particularly when when one adds in the premium parts costs involved.

The mechanic (who is a trained professional highly experienced with Packards) tells me this happens frequently.

Does this happen to the rest of you? Or am I just snake bit?

Posted on: 2011/6/13 13:11
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Shocks from a popular vendor have fit issues....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just a comment on the seal situation. Many modern seals have different construction that original seals, even under the same maker's part #. For example National's 450066 of 40 or so years ago was 15/32 width with a solid felt internal sealing surface. Today's National seal under the same part number is the open-faced type, about half the thickness, and with a single rubber lip sealing surface.

Posted on: 2011/6/13 13:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I have replaced the shocks on my 56 Exec w/TL in the last few months. I followed the recommendations listed in the parts xref. and they ended up lacking the 'T' bar lower mount on the front shocks, so I ordered the correct front shocks from a Packard vendor. The rear shocks purchased were correct.
I did see, in a previous post, a pair of mounting plates / adapters that eliminates the need for that 'T' bar mount. I'd sure like to find a set of those, so I can use the front shocks listed in the parts xref.
dont't think you're snake-bit, just learning about the joys of owning a classic car

Posted on: 2011/6/13 13:30
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As to the shocks, I don't know how much to fault the Packard vendor vs the manufacturer of the shocks. Granted, it would be nice if our vendors verified things fit before offering them for sale but realistically unless they take them out and find one of each model to fit them to before advertising them, some give and take is required.

Case in point is 55 and 56 shocks:

I just went to the Monroe website, entered the same car (Patrician) for 55 and 56 & got the same shocks listed for both. We know the 56 does not use the same front mount as a 55 yet there is no indication of that and as far as Monroe is concerned, they do. I didn't see Clippers even listed yet I think RockAuto lists the same Monroe shock used on all models from 51 on. Obviously they are relying on data from somewhere else. I'd be surprised if most of their people had even seen a Packard, let alone one of each model.

As to the problem you encountered, possibly the same thing happened there from that mfg.

Posted on: 2011/6/13 13:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Those "adapter plates" were an uncommon aftermarket item supplied by a company called Perfect Parts. They had lots of odd items including many to adapt different shocks. Fords 57-58 had weak upper rear shock mounts that often broke, they sold some sort of adapter for that also.

I haven't seen a set of lower Packard adapter plates in 40 years

Posted on: 2011/6/13 13:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Thanks Fred, I know that I can always count on you Packard vendors to help, you sure saved me plenty of search time when I was confused about various parts.

Posted on: 2011/6/13 13:54
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A couple of years back I bought a set of Gabriel 45653 for the front of my 56 Carib; they had the correct lower T-bar mounting though I understand that Gabriel # is no longer available.

Randy Berger has a set and has posted pictures of the shock adapter plates more than once on this site. Though I don't have a set, I have seen them occasionally at flea markets. Here's Randy's picture again.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.25 KB)
177_4df65e4a828d9.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2011/6/13 14:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved