Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 234

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

56 ultramatic fluid
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
Im having trouble figuring out which fluid is the substitute for the packard type. I removed the pan and found a small amount of shavings in the bottom but am not sure which type to refill with . I have looked through the threads but am not finding a good clear choice I have seen type f and a also is there a good additive you would reccomend. thank you

Posted on: 2011/7/4 20:16
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 ultramatic fluid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I had believed type F was what some people had luck with and others have used B&M trickshift (myself) with decent results.

Posted on: 2011/7/4 20:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agree with cortcomp and most have settled on the type F as being the closest replacement to type A. Some have said that one is also apparently getting passed by for the modern blends. The trick shift is said to be similar to type F with more friction modifiers.

One member has found the original type A is still being manufactured for anyone interested in that -- although it doesn't seem to be sold or advertised much anywhere. He mentions it in post # 13 of this thread.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=78561#forumpost78561

Posted on: 2011/7/4 21:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Type A is being made in San Antonio, but when I had my Ultramatic redone it was refilled with Mecron II/ Dexron. I think it was II is there a III? If you need for me to, I will look in the trunk and get the exact type of Mercron. If you need the info on the Type A, I will get that for you too.

Posted on: 2011/7/4 22:16
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
thank you for the help,I thought it was the type F the type A post was one that led to confusion as to which one to use I could not find it anywhere on the site and I am sure we have been over it before but didn't want to contaminate the ultramatic with the wrong fluid the trick shift sounds like a plan too

Posted on: 2011/7/4 22:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
When it's rebuilt, the clutches and bands have gm material on them, so you could treat it like a gm tranny.

Is the dexron/mercon to aggressive for the cork/whatever facings in an original ultramatic?

Posted on: 2011/7/5 9:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is the dexron/mercon to aggressive for the cork/whatever facings in an original ultramatic?

I was under the impression it was just the opposite. GM trans were designed for almost imperceptible shifts and have some slide built in which the lining and fluid accommodates. Packard design requires some tight clamping force and very controlled or limited slide. The extra slippage from extra slippery fluid allowed too much on the cork so sometimes things didn't lock properly and when it slipped, could burn or harden the cork.

Posted on: 2011/7/5 9:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Type A is still being made, but for the life of me I don't know why you would want to use it, it is a very crude version of what has followed.

Posted on: 2011/7/5 11:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved