Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
241 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 240

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Want to learn something you didn't know about Packard V8s?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958-Correct-Craft-VERY-RARE-1-5-CYPRESS-GARDENS-/320727524949?pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item4aacd9a655

This link goes to a beautiful inboard ski boat with a hot rod Packard V8. I'd love to own the boat, but I've asked the seller for more information, because the following is new news to me

Quote:
In 1962 ANDY GRANATELLI had 10 custom Packard V8 352 Cu. In. engines made for his race cars. They all had dual 4 barrel carburetors. He had the engines bored to 374 Cu. In. After this, He added McCulloch superchargers and after tuning the engines to the extent he wanted them, the engines turned out to be 574 Cu. In. This engine has been totally blue printed with a hot cam, sodium valves and a full main bearing girdle to support the bottom end. The engine is emerald green with polished aluminum cover on the super charger box and chrome valve covers and alternator. He then had 2 of the 10, 574 Cu. In. engines, converted into marine engines. This is 1 of the 2 The engine alone is estimated to be worth $20,000-$25,000

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/7/18 21:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Want to learn something you didn't know about Packard V8s?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yeah i'd like to see some proof of the 574 CU" claim, considering the claim/rumor is that Packard was only going to go out to 500 on this block i thought.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/7/18 21:40
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Yes, Packard could have gone to 500", as did Cadillac. However, it would have taken extensive revisions of the block casting patterns to make a larger bore possible. With the existing block, I don't like to bore more than 4.250". With that, it would take a 5.00" stroke and that would put the crank and rods into the water jackets and up into the camshaft.

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/7/18 21:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
well...in that case....his claim of 574 is crap....but maybe he is claiming what the supercharged effect is on the motor were it to be a NA equivilant??

too bad he lives outside Houston....i'd go look at it myself....maybe one of you Houston V8 freaks....etc etc.

Posted on: 2011/7/18 21:50
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
but maybe he is claiming what the supercharged effect is on the motor were it to be a NA equivilant??
He says 574 cu in, not equivalent or any other qualifiers.

I would like to see the full block girdle. That would be worth having.

This engine is in the top ten most powerful Packard V8s ever built. Wish he had the facts about what is inside rather than the total BS he's putting out there.

jack viens

Posted on: 2011/7/18 22:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
I'll bet that somewhere along the way there was a typo and 374 became 574. Awfully coincidental that it went up exactly to a near identical looking number.

Standard Surplus in South Bend was selling 352" engines surplus in the early 60's and that might have been his source. Easiest and cheapest way to increase cu in would be to bore and fit 56/374" pistons.

Posted on: 2011/7/18 23:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
FWIW, I inquired and the seller replied with a e-mail, the gist of which is he knows nothing about engines; all that about Granatelli and 574" info came verbally from the guy from whom he bought the boat.

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/7/19 13:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
ahhhh you gotta love that kinda information.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 13:28
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I know the gent who owns the Granatelli Avanti, the dui gento(sp?)
He said that even the Granatelli family didn't have their info straight - they didn't keep very good records and their memory wasn't as good as a written record done at the time.
So much for hearsay.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 13:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The whole story sounds like bull to me. What would Granatelli be doing monkeying around with an obsolete engine that had been out of production for six years. He was trying to give Studebaker and especially Avanti a performance image using engines and parts they already had available. They did not have time or resources to waste.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 13:39
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved