Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 141

Todd W. White, ammiller83, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Treating Surface Rust
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
This pertains to my '55 Clipper, but should be of interest to the general audience.

I have removed the seats and carpets from the Clipper. There is some surface rust on the rear floor boards. It looks like the carpet got wet and retained moisture, probably because of a missing floor pan plug. The metal is sound just surface rust. I will scrape and brush the undercoating (overcoating)/sound deadening and rust off, but what should I use to treat the bare metal? Thank you.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/7/21 11:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Treating Surface Rust
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i use rustoleum rust converter. it converters...primes...seals...and protects.

and its cheap....can get at wally world or lowes etc.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=40

edit:

after reading the label....it says to wait 3 days for aerosal painting over it....i have never done this....i wait till it dries then paint over it....never had issues with it and i have used SEVERAL cans.

edit 2:

i have put it on non rusty surfaces as well and had zero problems. its on my transmission i rebuilt to keep it from rusting....been there for months and months no problems.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/7/21 11:20
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I have used a product on my 24th and 26th series Packard's and my travel trailer frame. It's called "The Must for Rust" found at Lowe's, Home Depot, and most hardware stores. It comes in a spray bottle, no rinsing, just let dry. stops rust and converts it to an inactive status allowing the finished product to be painted. I'm very happy with the results. Google: The Must for Rust......for additional info. Hope this helps. Regards

Posted on: 2011/7/21 11:47
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Thanks for the suggestions. Just before coming here I read Henry's reply to Ken about the Rust-Oleum "Rust Performer". I need something to brush or squirt on as spraying will get on the interior surfaces. I'll go look at "The Must for Rust". Appreciate the help.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/7/21 14:28
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I think Rustoleum makes a brushable one, if not, some other manufacturer does. I have been using Phosphoric acid on my rusty metal and so far it seems to be doing a great job. I bought it at Home Depot in the paint section. Phosphoric acid is a main ingredient in a lot of rust removing products, even the Must for Rust. Then again, it comes in a big just for $15-18. Maybe too much if you are just spot cleaning. It is a great choice if you are treating a lot of rust areas.

Posted on: 2011/7/21 14:41
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
for the brushing man in you JW. click on where it says 8 fl oz. it comes in a bottle as well.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=40

Posted on: 2011/7/21 14:55
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
John,

For a really permanent fix, I would recommend POR 15 or the similar Eastwood Product (I think it is called rust encapsulator). I have some POR15 and prep stuff at the Paddock if you want to go that route.

Tom

Posted on: 2011/7/22 21:48
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I had a pleasant surprise this morning when I went out in the garage to see the results of the rust encapsulator I applied to the floorboards of the 55 Clipper yesterday. Directions on the encapsulator say that it will turn the rust into a gray color. I found only a few small gray colored patches. What I thought was a light coating of surface rust on the floorboards was the red oxide colored primer under the loose sprayed-on sound deadening material. I used the Jasco Prep & Prime product from Lowe's. Thanks to all for your suggestions and help.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/7/24 15:40
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved