Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 78

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

New to forum
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54clipper
See User information
Just bought a '54 Clipper Deluxe Club - a very nice car, Ultramatic and power brakes, with 24K miles, and original pretty much all around with the exception of body paint - Roof paint is original.

It is in very good running condition but I will do all the normal maintenance items and replace brake lines for safety.

I'm sure I'll have many questions - but here is a real simple one... How full should the radiator be? All the way to the top? or leave a little space for air? I had some (maybe a cup or two) come out of the overflow tube after a ride on a hot day.

Attached is a pic after a quick wash in the driveway after delivery.

Attach file:

jpg  (159.91 KB)
3931_4e2b7186e4478.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2011/7/23 20:10
 Top  Print   

Re: New to forum
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Welcome to PackardInfo.com!

Attach file:

jpg  (31.58 KB)
757_4e2b74e167af6.jpg 500X485 px

Posted on: 2011/7/23 20:22
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Welcome and congratulations. Very nice looking car. Here is the official recommendation on radiator level. Also in case you did not know, Packard radiators used a long reach cap. They need to be asked for since standard length caps usually displayed in parts stores will not work because they can't seal. Because of caps being replaced and the new ones not sealing, they are responsible for some complaints of overheating and overflowing.

EDIT: Gerd beat me to it so now you have two official recommendations.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.58 KB)
209_4e2b744978012.jpg 768X181 px

Posted on: 2011/7/23 20:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Howard's recommendation is more official since its headline is red.

Posted on: 2011/7/23 20:31
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Welcome.

Your car has my favorite Color Combination for that body style.

I love your car!

Posted on: 2011/7/23 20:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
The radiator cap you need is easily available, but not under Packard in the computers. The one that CarQuest has on their computer for a 51 - 54 Packard is incorrect. O'Riley sells a Murray radiator cap for a 51-54 Packard, with the correct 1" drop, for around $5. It is a model #7006 - they have no listing for a 51-54 Packard - you have to ask for a radiator cap for an 63-65 MG or Austin! In aother discussion, one of the guys gave the NAPA number, which I used to cross reference to the Murry. I now have two caps, one from each store!

Posted on: 2011/7/23 21:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Brake lines should be replaced if the undercarriage is excessively rusty or if the lines are rusty. NO matter the age of a car, there is no need to replace the lines unless the above conditions exist. Your car seems to be an exceptionally well maintqained and preserved one, doubtful it needs lines replaced.

I have had numerous 37-41 Junior and Senior cars in good condition and never replaced any lines.

I would, however, remove a front wheel an drum and pull back
the wheel cylinder boots to see if there is leakage or any crud. If a car spent much of its life ot being driven , water collects in the cylinders and rusts them causing leaks.

Good luck with your beauty.

Posted on: 2011/7/23 23:58
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54clipper
See User information
Thanks for the quick and detailed responses...

What got me started on this is that I decided to replace the radiator cap (because it was original) and I bought one from NAPA... They sent me home with the wrong one (not long reach as mentioned) and soon after, I had a bunch of coolant on the driveway. SO I went back to NAPA - they had the right one, long reach, and rated at 7 lbs. I topped off the coolant, put the new cap on, and took it for a little ride. Got home, and again - lost a little coolant (less this time). So then I was wondering did I overfill it (I did) or is the new cap bad (probably not).

So I'll remove a little coolant to leave an inch or so, and all should be fine.

On to the brake lines...

So are you saying to leave them alone (they work well) - not even replacing the hoses? - They car is exceptionally well preserved. No rot underneath - rockers are whole and original, even has the original exhaust all the way to the tail pipe. Kind of an amazing time capsule. The thing that amazes me the most is the 327 straight 8 engine. Its the first time I've been around one. It purrs like a kitten - smooth and quiet.

Posted on: 2011/7/24 10:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you find you still have a problem, you can go to higher pressure. 12 was standard in 54 and replacement caps were increased.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.17 KB)
209_4e2c3b93debc7.jpg 480X458 px

jpg  (46.76 KB)
209_4e2c3b9cd1506.jpg 642X590 px

jpg  (11.60 KB)
209_4e2c3ba5f241c.jpg 725X68 px

Posted on: 2011/7/24 10:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54clipper
See User information
Thanks. we have had a string of 100 degree days here - that would tax any old cooling system!

Posted on: 2011/7/24 10:38
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved