Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
183 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 181

happy, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

street question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just noticed the random photo showing Packard street with bridges connecting the main buildings going across it. Was curious if that or the other streets in the complex, particularly the large one under the assembly line bridge was open to the public. Even though a car or two is seen parked, Packard street looks like it has a lot of trash or mfg material stacked on the sides. Was just wondering because other than the proving ground, I don't remember seeing any large sentry or security gatehouses in the plant photos.

Locally, maps show dedicated streets going from here to there. In actual fact, should you want to go in a straight line using them you can't because they are really private streets inside a complex.

Posted on: 2011/7/25 9:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: street question
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
the street the body bridge crosses is a public street, but not a neighborhood for a Sunday drive

Posted on: 2011/7/25 11:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Howard, I know that your question is related to the long bridge. As a marginal note please find below pics of another Packard plant bridges (including a link to Bridget).

Click to see original Image in a new window

Quote:
the street the body bridge crosses is a public street, but not a neighborhood for a Sunday drive

Looks like a vital --> public-private partnership.

picture sources

1 - www.southwillard.com
2 - www.topalwaysdown.files.wordpress.com
3 - www.flickr.com

Posted on: 2011/7/25 11:39
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks. I was just curious after seeing those bridges in the photo from the 30's this morning as to how open the Packard property was back then or even at the end--If the plant were still in operation today, another question might be just how open it would be now & if a truck or car filled with something could still park under the bridges.

I remember driving by the now defunct Toyota-GM joint venture (NUMMI ???) plant in Fremont some years back when it was still operating. As I recall that had a large chain link fence around the complex and guard shacks at the entrances.

Posted on: 2011/7/25 12:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...if a truck or car filled with something could still park under the bridges...

Trucks and parking - both have been is forbidden. Just a second, pics will follow.

Posted on: 2011/7/25 12:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information

Posted on: 2011/7/25 12:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
the concrete grille on the body bridge and the main office door were removed. I haven't been by in some time, but the place is in death throes. Some of the Detroit folks can comment more. It's far gone.

Wood from the offices was recovered and can be purchased with funds benefitting the on-going restoration of the proving grounds, which is a much happier story.

Posted on: 2011/7/25 12:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
No parking (no-stopping sign at the left bridge pillar].

[picture source: www.detroitfunk.com]

Posted on: 2011/7/25 12:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
HH56,

I think the picture that was on the random photo was taken inside the plant itself. There were bridges that went from buiding to building inside the gates of the plant. Packard Ave. was/is a street inside the plant and not public.

The body bridge that most folks are familiar with crosses over E. Grand Blvd which is a public street.

I was in Detroit over the weekend for a family reunion. Saturday picnic was on Belle Isle so I decided to trek down E. Grand Blvd to see what's left of the plant. I would not worry too much about the neighborhood (at least in the daytime)because there is hardly anyone around to bother you anyway. However, if you enter the plant you would do so under the risk of great personal injury. The place reminds me of a skeleton of an ancient dinasour. If you touch one bone the whole thing could come down on top of you.

On the flip side, a lesser structure would have imploded under it's own weight years ago. This place was built to last, just like the fine automobiles it produced.

Posted on: 2011/7/25 14:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...There were bridges that went from buiding to building inside the gates of the plant. Packard Ave. was/is a street inside the plant and not public...

Dezi, here we have a pic that shows the Packard Ave. which obviously suffered no want of bridges.

8x10 black and white Packard Co. file photograph of Packard Avenue from the main gate, 1930. Packard Avenue runs between two factory buildings connected by brick bridges, car parked on right side of avenue.

Item # EB01e804

Photo courtesy of the Detroit Public Library, National Automotive History Collection and used with permission.

Posted on: 2011/7/25 15:08
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved