Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 204

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

6 volt flashing indicators
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
I have fitted flashing direction indicators to my car for safety reasons, however they are very dim on a par with a worn out glow worm. I have fitted new cable, 6 volt 21 watt bulbs and a six volt flasher relay. I have also fitted new ground cables but to no avail.
Can anyone please tell me why six volt flasher systems are so dim and a possible cure.

Thanks all

regards

Terry

Posted on: 2011/7/29 14:35
 Top  Print   

Re: 6 volt flashing indicators
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Have you checked for excess resistance in the feed wire, or dirty grounds at the bulb sockets?

Posted on: 2011/7/29 20:35
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Would help to know the number and if single or dual filament bulbs. Do they seem to flash at a normal rate but are just dim? Along the lines of Kev's suggestion would be curious what the actual voltage to ground is at the socket or closest splice to socket with the bulb in the circuit if your meter is able to capture a reading.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 21:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Another place to check is the turn signal contacts in the steering column. I had a problem with one brake light not working. I had to work the turn signal level back and forth pulling push as I did to knock of any crud that had built up on the contacts over time.

But all the being said I would first check the voltage at the hot feed on the bulb socket to a known good ground. Then assuming the voltage is good 6.5v or higher, then the problem is a bad or dirty ground. This can be checked with a resistance check between a known good ground and the ground (usually the socket case) at the bulb.

If the voltage is not good at the hot feed. Then problem is either in the wire or connections upstream.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 21:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Thanks for the replies guys. I haven't had a chance to take any resistance readings as yet but bearing in mind everything is brand new from the switch on. I am using the British system of four separate amber lamps and not the brake light set up as used in the States. I have grounded each lamp to frame with new wire. Each bulb is 6 volt x 21 watts single filament as is normal over here on 12 volt systems. The flash rate is o.k. but very dim.
I will report back on the resistance readings as soon as I get chance to take them.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 23:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
What you describe is consistent with the use of 12 V bulbs in a 6v system. You may have ordered or purchased 6 V bulbs but were given 12V. Bu;lbs do not normally have the voltage prionted on them, waht are the numbers on the bulb??

It would be highly unlikely that all 4 lamps have bad grounds simultaneously. As you are fitting flashers to a vehicle that I presume was not so equipped originally the vehicle would not have a switch in the steering column

Posted on: 2011/7/30 0:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Fred,

Nice to talk to a much thought of Packard Guru.
Fred what #'s are you talking about? Around my bulbs the #'s are 6e-6v-p21w e19 2g1 I don't know if our bulbs are numbered differrently in the U.K. All bulbs are definately 6 volt. The indicator switch is an American made Signal statt.

Thanks

T.C.

Posted on: 2011/7/30 2:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Remove bulbs from turn signal sockets. Put bulbs in a KNOWN GOOD WOORKING socket somewhere else on the car and test it. If it is stiill dim then it is a bulb problem.

Or use a piece of wire and test bulb directly at the battery.

Also remove flasher unit and use a jumper wire at the flasher terminal socket to test the circuit. If it tests ok then its a flasher problem.

Posted on: 2011/7/30 10:34
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
In the US most bulbs are marked only wiht balckink on the side of the base. Part number 55, 1034, 1157 etc, the voltage doe sot appear, often not even on the boxes. my comments were made accordingly. I wasnot familiar with the British standard markings

There was a post form Bigkev telling you to check the cntacts in the tujrn sig switch in the stering column. As it was clear to me that you were adding signals to a car not so equjipped then you would not have such a built in switch. my comments were made accordingly

Let us know the solution. Good luck

Posted on: 2011/7/30 15:17
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Alvin14
See User information
Hello Terry,
I had the same problem with my 40. All the prior replies have given you excellent advise.
What I did was to buy 6V LED bulbs and "coat" the inside of the tailights with silver foil. The difference was amazing.
The vendor is U.S. is www.highspeedmotors.com. Don't know if UK has a similar vendor.
Hope this helps.

Alvin

Posted on: 2011/7/30 16:32
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved