Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 210

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 6 volt flashing indicators
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Alvin, thanks for the link, was thinking of finding some 6v LEDS for my 50.

Posted on: 2011/7/30 20:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Wow guys,

All this good info coming at me I just have to decide where to start. I will probably go back to taking out the wiring and parts I put in and carefully check that I haven't made a stupid snafu somewhere.
Alvin I was looking at the L.E.D's and we do have a supplier over here.

I did make a few tentative readings with the meter and had zero reading on the ground resistance and just about 3 volts at the bulbs, so there is something wrong somewhere.
The battery was giving out 6.2 volts.

I will keep you up to speed when I get chance to look at it all properly with out "her in doors wanting things done"

Thanks again

T.C.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 1:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Where are the turns mounted???? If they are mounted to a bumper or use a clamp type flange mount to a painted surface then an extra GROUND wire mite be needed from turns to body of car or frame of car to issurea good ground. MAKE sure the ground wire or mount of the turn signals are against VIRGIN CLEAN METAL by scraping to clean metal and use a serrated tooth lock washer.

Of course all of this assumes that all other lites on the car are working properly. Otherwise it is the body to frame or body to engine ground strap that needs to be adreessed.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 8:21
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
ON THE USE OF LED'S TO REPLACE INCANDESCENT BULBS

We considered offering a line of 6 and 12V LCD's to upgrade and improve older cars. On a 55/56 Packard lamp we found tha the LCD gave considerably less light than a regualar bulb. While the regular bulb emits light on all directions and illuminates the large lens as designed, the LED emits light in basically one direction adn does not "light up" the lens yielding less visibility.

On a 37 115C/120C where the lamp is right behind the lens the LED pointed straight back and gave poor visibility when viewed form an angle while the incandescent lamp gave better visibility from an angle. The LED was brighter when viewed from directly behind, but if teh lamp housing was lined with reflective aluminum foil the viewablity was better that the LED.

Driving behind a modern car with LEDs I noticed that the taillamps often contain 15-20 LEDs as a surround to the taillamp and they are spaced 1 or more inches apart with a soft diffuser. This is obviously what is needed to be effective

We decided not to offer and do not recommend the LED's as they posed a safety hazard of poorer viewability in many applications.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 9:48
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Alvin14
See User information
The gentleman from whom I purchased the LEDs sells a 19 LED bulb which emits light straight back and a 32 LED bulb that emits light straight back and sideways, which my car having a rounded tail light lens really makes a big improvement. I use the 32 LED bulbs.
These bulbs are for 6V positive ground cars.
Please note:
I have NO connection to the vendor.

Alvin

Posted on: 2011/7/31 11:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Bottom line: IT's CANDLE POWER of the bulb, LED or anything that is used for lighting. Watts mite be the spec used in some cases. The voltage or type of 'bulb' is meaningless. What is the CP or wattage of the bulbs, LED etc to use as a COMPARISON??

Posted on: 2011/7/31 15:08
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2011/7/31 15:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If it has to be blindingly brite for some reason then install a 6v HEAdLITE bulb IF it will clear the lens and lens is not plastic. If it is a dual contact socket for brake/tail then there will be very little difference between the brake and tail lite intensity using the headlite bulb. But it will make it BRITE!!!

Posted on: 2011/7/31 15:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think once the low voltage problem is figured out, then the existing bulbs will brighten up considerably-- granted never as much as one would like--but certainly more than a worn out glow worm. Not sure which model of the Signal statt is being used but the schematic on the 900 doesn't look to have too many places to go wrong.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 15:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
ON GETTING 3 VOLTS IN A 6 VOLT CAR

Is it a possibility that you he the turn indicator bulbs wired in series on each side, I believe?? that would yield 1/2 voltage. They should be wired in parallel. Check your schematic. If you remove a rear bulb and the front one ofthe same side goes out, then they are wired in series

Posted on: 2011/8/2 7:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved