Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 210

JohnCB, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Opinions please
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
When you go... you might want to take this ad with you. Maybe it will influence the seller regarding the asking price. For my own curiosity, I'd like to know if the interior chrome looks like it will clean up or if it all needs re-chroming.

PS The 'correct' material to re-do all the fussy pleat and button upholstery for the seats is currently $89.00 a yard (labor not included).

PPS For around $5,500.00 you should be able to get something more in this condition... I know I did (granted it's not a Club Sedan, but...).

Attach file:

jpg  (130.34 KB)
188_4e4e686f814a2.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/8/19 8:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Thanks for the link to that ad: that should certainly give some perspective. I still think that coupe is overpriced for it's condition, though it's way more in line than the one I'm going to look over.

Jeez, that seller thinks their car is in number "4" condition. That pretty optimistic. I think both of these are Number 6 or below.

You're right, I have seen some very decent looking 4-door 22nd series (standard, deluxe and customs), as well as some 2 door (not customs) for very reasonable prices. Definitely makes me wonder why I'd even consider this car, but location plays a big factor - this car is two hours from me. And for whatever reason, I don't see an abundance of 22nd series pop up here in LA that are reasonably priced. Figured it couldn't hurt to go visit this one to look at it.

Will report back my findings with some more detailed and decent photos.

Posted on: 2011/8/19 12:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information

Posted on: 2011/8/19 15:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
The Custom-8 in the photo is certainly worth more than 5500.00.

Posted on: 2011/8/19 15:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I agree: that Custom 8 is worth more than $5,500. I've seen some for sale for about $8,500+ I still think that'd be a deal for a Custom 8.

So, I went to look at the Coupe this weekend. I crawled all over the car and took tons pictures everywhere I could. Feel free to check out the album below and comment

Bottom line: it's a very neat car. I would love to tackle the project, but it's hugely daunting, given how much work it needs. An upside is that the car came very well-equipped, and it seems to have all it's parts. But that's a small upside. There appears to be rust on every visible surface.

Looking within the engine compartment made me realize I don't know everything I'm looking at, especially on the side of the compartment with the battery. Don't know what that large drum-like object is at the bottom, nor that module next to what looks like a vacuum advance off the distributor. Was also looking for the brake MC, and wasn't sure I was finding it. There should be a large cannister being held in a bracket off the engine, which is missing - but I don't know what this is. Any guidance is appreciated!

http://s625.photobucket.com/albums/tt332/NoHoArtsDistrict/Automobiles/1948%20Custom%208%20Club%20Coupe/

Posted on: 2011/8/22 21:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The car is very well equipped. I see the windshield washer which appears complete, the Electromatic clutch also appears complete and it's power unit is the large cylinder by the starter. The item by the dist advance is the oil sender. Don't see a good picture of the L frame rail but brake master should be there between firewall and steering box. Not sure which item you refer to as a "large canister off a bracket which is missing". Maybe you could refer to a picture number.

Posted on: 2011/8/22 21:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The master cylinder is pretty clearly shown in picture #34.

Posted on: 2011/8/22 21:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I saw it also in pict 31 after I posted and was just going to correct but you beat me to it..

Posted on: 2011/8/22 21:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Thanks. I was wondering if that was it. Doesn't look like the master cylinders I'm familiar with, but then, this is a Packard. I'm learning. The item I'm referring to that I believe is missing is a cannister not shown, that would be held in place via a bracket that should be bolted to the block next to the oil tube. You can see the studs sticking out where something should be bolted in pic 37, just above the freeze plug. Upper right hand corner of this pic, you can see the top of the cannister I'm talking about. Is it a vacuum chamber or something?

Attach file:

jpg  (111.91 KB)
2024_4e53196d944b7.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2011/8/22 22:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Here's a clear picture of what I'm talking about.

Attach file:

jpg  (51.93 KB)
2024_4e5319fb36b45.jpg 666X500 px

Posted on: 2011/8/22 22:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved