Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

TxGoat, Dads 56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Brake Line Junction for stoplight switch-1955 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Does anyone know where I can order one of these from? Its where the three lines come together and the stop light switch sits on top. On a 1955 Packard 400 with Torsion level suspension.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 20:12
 Top  Print   

Re: Brake Line Junction for stoplight switch-1955 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
There's nothing special about that junction. Any auto parts store can supply it. It is two (1/4in?) double flare females back-to-back and 1/8NPT female at 90deg, IIRC.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 20:19
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Thank You for your help-Mike

Posted on: 2011/8/8 20:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The brake line is 3/16" with 3/8-24 threaded nuts. I don't quite agree with Craig about finding one because I believe it may be a special fitting. It is a 3 way 3/16" inverted flare with 1/8" internal pipe. Haven't seen anything like it on several brake and brass fitting places but maybe I just don't know what to search for. This store has one of the best assortments of fittings I could find but didn't have much luck----http://fittingsandadapters.com/ Have you tried the vendors?

Posted on: 2011/8/8 20:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Interesting, I'll go to the local good auto parts store with a sample of a v8 junction and see what they can do. We have them in stock. These types of fittings have not been commonly used since the 50's and I kind of doubt a store would stock them or even hve them available, but who knows?? There are at least 30 different kinds 1935-1960

They get ruined when people try to thread the steel lines in while practically standing on their head. Here's the secret to avoiding cross threading.

Remove banjo bolt and 2 copper washers from MCyl, then the brass fitting is free. Thread one steel line in by hand about 3/4 way, then do the other. Put one washer on bolt, put bolt through fitting, put second washer on and put bolt into MCyl by hand. Tighten bolt, tighten steel lines. Impossible to cross thread.

OOPS MY ERROR

I MISTAKENLY THOIUGHT HE WAS REFERRIGN TOTHE FITTING AT THE END OF THE MCYL, HE WAS REFERRRING TO THE JUNCTION THAT SITS ON TOP OF THE FRAME.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 20:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
From post #4 above:
"The brake line is 3/16" with 3/8-24 threaded nuts"

Obtain a junction block with FOUR flare connexions. Drill one with a "R" drill bit and tap it 1/8 pipe.

3/8-24 tap drill is "Q" = .3320" "R" is .3390. So it should work.

NOTE that a 1/8 pipe thread is very close to 3/8 24 thread. I've forced bolts and pipe plugs several times on a variety of applications. So tapping appropriately should work just fine. Worse case is that it will leak and then have to scrap the idea.

Double check the stop lite switch to see if it is TAPEReD or streight pipe tap. If it is tapered then drilling and tapping should work.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 22:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
NOTE that my 56 junction has a STEEL BRAKET attached to it so that the junction can be anchored to the frame. I can n ot tell how the steel bracket is attached to the junction block tho. SO the bracket may or may not be an issue when 'making' a new junction.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 22:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
A better question mite be:
SPECIFICALLY what is wrong with the CURRENT junction???

Posted on: 2011/8/8 22:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I was mistaken about the front brake line block configuration (damn that memory). Here's a picture of it on one of my parts cars (56 400).

Resized Image

Better buy one from Fred unless you want this one (PM me).

Craig

Posted on: 2011/8/9 9:55
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved