Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 196

BigKev, Bob J, 53 Cavalier, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Body number tag
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I am painting the firewall on my 1950 Deluxe 8 23rd series. There is a small removable body number tag on the upper right side of the firewall near the stamped-in raised numbers. This body number tag is difficult to clean up for painting so I removed it for cleaning. I want to paint it the way the factory did originally.

My car was repainted in the original yellow color years ago and both the firewall and this body number tag share this yellow color. However I looked closely at the paint on the body number tag and it has black paint under the yellow. Does anyone know what the factory did originally? There is no yellow paint on the firewall under the body number tag so that would indicate the tag was attached first and then the firewall was painted. However, why is it black under the yellow color?

I know this is a silly little detail, but I want to do it right if I can.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 10:42
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Re: Body number tag
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
I've always seen them body color, presume the tags were all painted black to prevent rust?? then attached, then painted along with the body??

Posted on: 2011/8/9 11:11
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
They were installed by Briggs when the body was built, and then painted body color afterward.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 12:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev - I understood the question to be, why did the Briggs tag have black under the body color?

Posted on: 2011/8/9 13:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
All this makes sense. The tag was painted black before attachment to prevent rust. After it was attached the entire firewall was painted body color. That matches what I am observing. Thanks for the advice folks.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 9:33
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Fred - curious, what was the condition of the firewall behind the Briggs tag? You said it wasn't body color, but what was it - naked steel? Primer?

Posted on: 2011/8/10 10:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
The firewall behind the body tag is naked steel. Obviously the body tag was put on first when the car was in bare metal and then the paint was applied. There is very little rust on the naked steel because the paint sealed the edges all around the body tag.

Posted on: 2011/8/11 9:31
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks Fred for the answer; it all fits together exactly as one would have expected.

Posted on: 2011/8/11 9:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan Phenicie
See User information
Quote:

Fred Puhn wrote:
The firewall behind the body tag is naked steel. Obviously the body tag was put on first when the car was in bare metal and then the paint was applied. .......

The back side of the Briggs body tag is also naked steel.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 11:27
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved