Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Parts Supply houses
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Here is a pic. Green line points to AC belt. Red line to spacer. See the fan blade to AC belt clearence is about equal to spacer thickness.

Some of this is all coming back to me now. I installed fan and AC about 10 years ago. Hard to remeber everything unless i actually go look at it.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.18 KB)
35_4e4c8718ec9ae.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/8/17 22:29
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Water pump bearing shafts are hardened since they are the inner race for the bearing. It is not possible to machine in a lathe, it must be ground

All fans that i can recall have a pilot, they do not center on the bolts. A little bit off balance can ruin the pump bearings and cause the fan to fall off and go through the radiator. Also 95% of wp bearings of the era have a 5/8" shaft thus hubs are interchangable. One exception I recall is Corvair.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 22:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Your aftermarket looks to be quite a bit deeper than the Packard fan which I measure to be about 1 3/8. Unknown on the Mopar but does sound more and more like nice spacer or two could be a job for the machine shop idea that started this thread.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 22:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think the easiest solution would be to take the stock fan, and the mopar fan to a machine shop and say "Modify this fan to fit when this one did, call me when done".

The center hole would get enlarged and if need the fan bolt holes could be redrilled at 45 degrees rotated to where they are now.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 22:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
The modern four bolt slotted fans are made for a bolt that is appreciably larger that the 1/4x28 bolts used to hold the Packard fan. Either your bolts need to be bushed, or new specific holes need to be cut---assuming you want a proper fit.

I don't see machining the water pump because it will go at the worst possible time and you will NOT be able to pop in a replacement and go your merry way.

I have a 6 b;lade flex-rite generic replacement fan sitting in my garage that needs to be so modified.

It's fine to have a machinist willing to do side work, but imho what is needed is a machinist willing to do side work that is also a bit of an entrepreneur.

What does the machinist have to say about all this?

Posted on: 2011/8/18 14:44
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
If anyone is need of machine work he has given me his contact info.

Please PM me and I will send it to you.

Posted on: 2011/8/23 7:28
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
A few photos of the running board screws he made for me.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.41 KB)
44_4e54f3bc4af1c.jpg 448X336 px

jpg  (41.56 KB)
44_4e54f3c639621.jpg 448X336 px

Posted on: 2011/8/24 7:51
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
Hello,

I read the thread concerning the six bladed fan. I purchased mine from Classic Auto Air and bolted it on, no spacer needed. There is plenty of clarence for the belts.
I also bought the swing mount. It was a straight forward installation on my 1956 Patrician. Photos have been posted
quite some time ago.

Jerry

Posted on: 2011/8/24 8:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2011/8/24 9:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Fan pitch mite have alot to do with modifications. Measured fan to belt clearence = 11/16", spacer - 9/16" thick. Without spacer i'd have only 1/8 inch clearence which would be "just enuf".

NOTE that the AC pullies were aligned with 4 foot LS Starrett precision steel scale upon developement. There is NO odd belt wear evident. So they're aligned just fine.
I added fan dimension to my pic:

Attach file:

jpg  (47.88 KB)
35_4e550de11f7f2.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/8/24 9:45
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved