Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 224

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Edmunds manifold
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I recently bought an old Edmunds twin carb aftermarket intake manifold that fits my 1950 23rd series 288 engine. I am considering putting it on my Packard but would like to know what to expect in performance or trouble. Has anyone performed this modification? Can you tell me the pros and cons about this modification? I would not do anything else to the engine for now, just the carbs and manifold.

Posted on: 2011/8/16 14:01
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Re: Edmunds manifold
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Fred, could you be so kind to publish a pic of the manifold or even a contrasting juxtaposition?

Posted on: 2011/8/16 14:08
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Will it play friendly with the exhaust manifold? If I remember right it doesn't mate to the exhaust manifold like the OEM one. So a block off plate would have to get installed on the exhaust manifold. Also I believe the heating on that Edmunds intake is a hot water feed, or at least the ones I have seen in the past.

Posted on: 2011/8/16 14:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I would think the usual, like it wouldn't be connected at the hot spot (i don't think) for cold weather or just-after-starting performance, have to likely come up with your own throttle linkage, and of course tune the carbs to your motor, might be a little lean or rich depending on where you got them from and what they're for. Little bit of trial and error.

I would expect a little bit more top end power, but likely not a ton. Throttle response might not be quite as crisp due to lower intake velocity, but i doubt you'd notice it at all...might get more low end torque at WOT since it could breathe a little more.

Posted on: 2011/8/16 14:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
A twin carb manifold was usually the last step in a hop up program that would include higher compression head or milled head, hot cam, and dual exhausts.

The twin carbs by themselves will do little or nothing if the engine is not modified. A stock engine cannot take advantage of the extra breathing.

The disadvantages are the cost of a new manifold and second carb, the problems of tuning and synchronising, and lousy mileage.

Incidentally it is a mistake to hop up an old motor unless you tear it down and at least do an overhaul. An old motor may last for years if you baby it, but blow up in a month if you hop it up. I have seen this happen more than once. The bearings, crankshaft, oil pump, pistons, rings etc have to be in good shape. If your motor has more than 25000 miles since the last rebuild you would be asking for trouble.

If you are interested in a real hop up I can tell you some of the tricks to rebuild your motor for a 50% increase in power.

Posted on: 2011/8/16 16:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Guscha for your viewing pleasure, the 1952 Edmunds Packard accessory catalog.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1952_EdmundsBrochure.pdf

Posted on: 2011/8/16 16:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
That pdf shows about $85 bucks for an edmunds head, i'll go call now and order one!

Posted on: 2011/8/16 16:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Rusty O'Toole

I would be interested in those tips. Only because people are always asking me if Packard motors can be modified.

I usually tell them Packards are too expensive to blow up.

The flathead has obvious breathing limitations, but adding 4bbls added alot to the 327. I suppose taking out some of the main bearings might speed up the 9 bearing motors.

For me, the DelSol Honda - the most advanced combustion chamber in the world - has enough bolt on horsepower to satisfy any hot rodder.

50% more power in a 288 translates to 195hp. Just the required HD radiator there would be two grand.

Just curious thanks

Posted on: 2011/8/16 18:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Rusty, thanks a bunch for that link to the Edmunds catalogue. It is fascinating. Now I will look for the aluminum finned head and the special air filters.

I appreciate the advice on installing the manifold on a stock engine. I will hold off until I maybe have to overhaul the engine and get the head. The carbs probably could use a slightly hotter cam to give a useful power increase. Also I would balance the engine because it probably has to turn a bit higher.

Posted on: 2011/8/16 21:37
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Guscha for your viewing pleasure, the 1952 Edmunds Packard accessory catalog...

Rusty, thanks for the link. Do any of you know the flow velocities of both the original and the Edmunds intake?

Click to see original Image in a new window

[picture source: wikipedia]

Posted on: 2011/8/17 4:44
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved