Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 198

Don B, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Starter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
I took off the starter today to put in new brushes. The brushes look good, but the commutator is smooth at the grooves where the brushes sit. I took it to a starter place to show them what I found. The man at the starter place said: Don't worry about the grooves in the armature its not like a generator that needs them to charge. Put it back together and enjoy. It kinda makes sense , but I thought I would check with the Professionals here first. Im learning, I think. Should I try to file some of the commutator groove back?

Posted on: 2011/8/22 16:28
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Re: Starter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear MrBob:

I think thu usual procedure is to groove the mica in the lathe using the bit. 1/32 of an inch is .030. So a sharpened awl should suffice.

If your problem is a slow turning starter then new cables are probably in order. I bought a pair for a car from RI Wiring and the difference was fantastic.

Good luck with your car.

Posted on: 2011/8/22 19:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I wouldn't do anything to the armature unless you have the proper equipment and know how to use it. The battery cables sound like a good idea. You need heavy cable for a six volt system. If you have puny 12 volt cables, then that is where your problem is.

Posted on: 2011/8/22 21:26
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
If the shop had an undercutter and you already had the armature out and ready, I don't understand why he wouldn't just undercut the grooves. It is pretty important that the grooves be cleaned out. You also need to make sure that the commutator is not out of round slightly. I always machine the commutator and undercut the grooves when replacing brushes. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
www.aerrebuild.com

Posted on: 2011/8/23 7:47
Jason
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I concur with Jason, at the time of new brush installation, the mica should always be checked and undercut if needed and at the very least, the commutator checked for concentricity, cleanliness and smoothness.

Certainly it's best to use the proper tools to undercut the mica and turn the commutator or just polish it if that's all that's needed. Without the proper tool for cutting the mica, many old time mechanics used a piece of broken-off hacksaw blade, ground to proper width. It's a bit crude to say the least, but with care it can do the job adequately, as can small a jewelry file. Just remember then that if you're not going to turn the commutator at that point, at least clean it afterwards to remove any burrs.

Posted on: 2011/8/23 9:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
Took the starter to the shop, grooves are fixed now. Starter kicks good, but the solenoid was bad. Picked up a new solenoid up at Napa and will install the starter in the morning. Its 108 here today in Oklahoma city. We have set records all year here, I'm sick of this heat. Outside by 6am to work on the cars in house by 11am due to HEAT.

Posted on: 2011/8/24 18:24
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
Here is the old solenoid. I have never seen one with a reset button on it. This must be the original factory one.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.96 KB)
3750_4e5659ec5c851.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/8/25 9:19
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
That button on top operates the solenoid by pushing it with your finger. It is really handy when trying to set the timing or doing a compression test by yourself Just reach over and push the button to bump the starter.

Posted on: 2011/8/25 10:09
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
Oh,, ok thats what the button does. Thanks for the info. My first packard.

Posted on: 2011/8/25 16:50
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
I know this is an old post,but thought I would add this in case anyone is looking in the future. I have the original switches available still. Feel free to contact me if you are in need of one.
Jason
www.aerrebuild.com
jason@aerrebuild.com

Posted on: 2011/12/24 14:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved