Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 218

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

piston clearance
Just popping in
Just popping in

jokunen
See User information
Hi,
is there anyone who has experience of Packard piston to wall clearances? Engine is 245" six, 1700. I purhased a set of 030" pistons from Kanter. Packard shop manual says that actual clearance should be between 0,0005-0,001" and that might be too small clearance for these pistons I bought(I afraid)? The slot in skirt is not cut through (it ends to the hole 5/8" before the skirt ends), in the original pistons slot is cut full.
Or is the clearance automatically right if we bore the block 3,5" + 0,030" = 3,53" bore? But that leaves still only 0,0012" clearance if measured from bottom of piston skirt? What do you think?
Sorry for these questions but with this Packard I want to do it once and do it right. Previous Packard engine (1600) I made 3 times before it was absolutely perfect and ran without vibrations etc.
www.freewebs.com/packard38

BR
Jarmo

Posted on: 2011/8/24 1:12
 Top  Print   

Re: piston clearance
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Jarmo,
to PackardInfo. But sorry I can't help resolve your question although someone should be along soon who can.

Took the opportunity to have a look at your '38 Six restoration website, looks fabulous and a great pictorial record. Really liked the pic's of the rolling chassis out in the snow and your daughter(?) helping Dad fix his Packard, very cute.

Finally I invite you to include your '38 Six Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2011/8/24 3:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Use piston to wall clearence as specified by the supplier of the new pistons u have.

Posted on: 2011/8/24 7:12
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The piston slot ending at a hole should be just fine. I would prefer that over the oem full cut slot.

Measure the piston gudgeon pin OFFSET. i.e. to see if the pin sets closer to one side of the piston than the other. Compare that to oem piston pin offset.

I'm guessing that the NEW pistons have a pin that sets closer to the NON-slotted side of the piston. The OEM piston has the pin setting closer to slotted side????
IS the top of the NEW pistons marked "front" or with an arrow ????? How about the OEM piston???

Posted on: 2011/8/24 7:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

jokunen
See User information
I have asked specs from piston supplier but they don't have it??? So thats why I wrote here. Now I have received nice replies either though no exact answer yet. Pistons are market with arrow pointing to front of engine so the slot is on cam side as it should be.
PS. has enyone extra back seat parts from 1600/1700 club coupe? Look my message from parts wanted forum.

Jarmo

Posted on: 2011/8/24 10:22
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I believe Kanters pistons (I am sure Fred will correct me if I am wrong) are sourced from EGGE. So perhaps they will have the specs. Others have reported before that EGGE's piston clearance specs are looser than Packards were.

Posted on: 2011/8/24 10:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

jokunen
See User information
Hi, thanks. I will ask from EGGE.

Posted on: 2011/8/24 10:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Sure. if they are Egge pistons. at this point we do not really know what they are.

CHECK the gudgeaon pin offset!! Pin should set closest to the cam side of engine.

Check the old pistons too. were the old pistons assembled with slot toward cam side too????

Posted on: 2011/8/24 15:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Does anyone know how to recognize Egge pistons???
Do the old pistons have any manufacturer markings???? How about the new pistons???? MFG markings are usualy on the INSIDE of pistons adn sometimes on the top which requires alot of cleaning to see.

Posted on: 2011/8/24 16:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Give the vendors and manufactureres a chance to reply. f they fail to supply the necessary info for piston clearance then we'll conduct a simple test/analysis to help determine it.

Posted on: 2011/8/24 16:30
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved