Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 202

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: piston clearance
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Gusha etc,

Excuse my hyperbole, but in the past there have been some elementary questions already fully examined that are asked a few days later ands have gotten to 30-40 posts with confusion reigning supreme.

By the post number in your post, Guscha, yours is post #20 which is closing in hard on the technical definition of "dozens".

I wish to apologize to all for the error on the part of my employee who didn't follow proper procedure. He should have gone "up the chain" to get the info for the customer.

His company car, a 12 cylinder 55 1/2 Caribbean with a rear turbocharged slant six drivinghte front wheels and a front V6 driving the rear wheels has been recalled and his is now driving a 41 2 cylnder Crosley with a body of Miracle Cardboardium.

Now to the pistons, ours are aluminum autothermic with a steel strut, just like the origianls but of an improved alloy. Clearance is .0015 to .002.

I again apologize for our failure to provide the info .

Hopwever this forum is better than one I ran across last night where a member got info from a supplier and said
'..... the supplier could have made a mistake or he could have been lying' . A good "heads up' for all those on forums. The clearance, .0015 to .002. Never thought about it but I could be wrong or maybe lying. I'm taking a poll, send your opinion to me with a crisp $10 bill.

Posted on: 2011/8/25 12:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
How could you know amidst all the muddy water around post #12 what I would write in post #20?

Posted on: 2011/8/25 12:55
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
Interesting. I'm fairly new to Packards so I didn't know that. GM made a huge deal out of putting aluminum pistons in the Corvette in '53 so I assumed that most cars had cast iron until about that era.

Color me wrong.

Posted on: 2011/8/25 13:12
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

jokunen
See User information
Thank you Fred for exact info, apologize approved. And now you see how my problem is solved by writing to this nice forum . Hope we'll see at Hershey? And thanks again for everybody.
PS. still looking after for Club Coupe back seat hinges and other parts...anyone? (Look my ad in trade forum).

Posted on: 2011/8/25 13:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
How much pin offset is there in the pistons??? New pistons and old pistons??? Closer to slotted side????

Posted on: 2011/8/25 17:09
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
To Fred:

I was looking at the Kanter catalogue on line and the piston shown looks like a forged piston.

Not that such isn't a good product, and I have a box of originals which when compared to EGGE are only 2 grams lighter.

I mention this here only because of concern as to balance and peak RPM issues.

Posted on: 2011/8/25 19:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Tim,

I hardly ever look at our on-line catalog, just took a peek at it. If you can tell if a piston is forged or cast by looking at a low-res online picture then you and I have a business. We'll go out west and you can look at mountains and tell me where the gold, silver and rare earths are .

The photo in the Packard Engine section is a generic photo as with all the years and bores we have pistons for, NOS, NORS and modern repro there are perhaps 100 different types we can supply for Packard alone. The consider Hercules, John Deere,Pontiac, Crosley, Edsel, Essex Erskine... probably 1000 different. We use only one photo, in our Packard catalogs we have no photos. Federal Mogul has no photos either.

Any competent machine shop can build a well balanced motor, there are pistons out there that are way heavier or lighter than original 8,000 rpm on nitromethane

Posted on: 2011/8/25 22:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Guscha,

Well, well, well. this is about post #27 or 28. IN the winners circle for truth , freedom and The American Way.
Officially certified "dozens"

How did I know in post 12 what you were going to say in #20?
Looked at them, can't follow, simple answer is I'm a mind reader.

This IS fun, if not informative.

Posted on: 2011/8/25 22:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
To Packard V8

To do the research on piston engineering will cost you $500 in small bills. I think you can get it done cheaper, though inaccurately, by your friend Eric. He's soooo smart

Posted on: 2011/8/25 22:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved