Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 106

Bob J, JD in KC, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Tubless tires on riveted rims
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I'm in the process of getting new tires for my 38 coupe. I want to go WW tubeless radials. The center part of the rim is riveted to the outer ring. Has anybody had any experience in running tubeless tires on this type of rim? I have thought of painting over the rivet heads with an epoxy or POR 15 to act as a sealant. Any suggestions?

Posted on: 2008/3/7 9:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Tubless tires on riveted rims
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm not certain but I believe tubeless tires made their first appearance on Packards in 1954. I've successfully mounted tubeless tires on a number of earlier Packards without problems and without need for any sealants or modifications. The earliest car I've done this on is a 1941. Still, that doesn't mean that each and every early rim will be compatible and I think your suggestion about using some sort of sealant is probably a good idea. However as wheels can flex to a small degree, and more with a radial tire than a bias-belted, even though the drop center (riveted area) is the strongest part of the rim, I'd try to find a sealant that has some flexibility to it, not an epoxy.

Posted on: 2008/3/7 9:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I had wide white sidewall tubeless radial ply tires installed on my 115C Convertible Coupe using the original wheels. I bought a set of Diamond Back tires. I have had no problems with them. They hold air, they balanced easily, and improved steering, braking, and handling. I recommend them. John

Posted on: 2008/3/7 11:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I also meant to add that no sealers were used on the rivets or bead area. John

Posted on: 2008/3/7 11:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Many of the Kelsey Hayes wheels produced in the 50's and early 60's were riveted, yet tubeless. Latter they did switch to welding. I would be curious what others report, as I never gave much thought to this tube / tubeless application on Packard.

Posted on: 2008/3/8 1:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The 51-56 Packard wheels were made by MOTOR WHEEL.

Posted on: 2008/3/8 16:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved