Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 140

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Ultramatic leaking from the manual valve seal.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I apologize for my typo. The group number is 3.31425.
That seal would not stop your leaking. You need the proper seal and it should be a snug fit. Apparently the washer was eliminated in 56 and the seal was changed.
I agree with Howard - if you are having a severe leak, then you have the wrong seal.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 0:04
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
Thanks Randy, but according to Plate 35 and 36 in the Parts book, there is a washer on the '56. However, when I installed the washer, it leaked more than when the washer wasn't there. Now I'm really confused. I guess I'll just have to remove the washer and seal the heck out it.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 11:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When in doubt you can always go back to basics:

Measure the shaft diameter,
Measure the bore diameter,
Measure or estimate the seal thickness,

And just order a new seal by dimensions rather than by application. For press-in metal cased seals, add about 0.001" per inch of bore diamter to the bore diameter for the seal OD, to allow for a snug press fit. i.e. for a bore of 1.000, get a seal with an OD of about 1.001".

Posted on: 2011/8/30 12:18
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
Thanks. That's a great suggestion. I have an another seal so I can use it as a reference to get one that has an OD .0001 larger.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 12:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear HOTROD:

If sizing up a seal doesn't work and you want to try
GM silicone seal maker then consult your local GM dealer as to availability. I don't know the part number, but the last time I used it was to fabricate a timing cover seal for a Chevrolet that had been all over town and was still pouring oil out the front of the motor.

It was some kind of Z optioned Imapala and the crankshaft was chewed up.

Good luck

Posted on: 2011/8/30 12:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Don't just go by the pictures - go look at the actual description of the part under the group number. It says the washer was used in 1955 only.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 14:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
If there is a leak with a new seal, it does not mean you are using the wrong seal. It probably means you have installed it incorrectly. As far as using a seal that is .001 larger to insure a tight fit, seals are not made in .001 progressions. They are made to certain sizes and machinery is often designed around those specs.

The OD of this seal is 1.004", the next larger OD for this shaft size (ID) and thickness is 1.128"

The group for the selector shaft seal is NOT 3.31425, it is 3.57788

We have seals manufactured for us with a sealant on the OD to insure a tight, leakproof fit. MOdern technology at its best,
Precision Engineered for Longer Life as Packard said.

It amazes me the gyrations people will go through to avoid benefitting from a professionals experience????

Posted on: 2011/8/30 15:48
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
Oh, I see what you mean. I woke up the other morning and found the rear end of my '56 raised up in the air. As you know, I've been working on stopping the leak from the actuator. Well, when I finished, I lower the car and switched the T/L switch on. The car adjusted itself just fine the day before; however, the next morning the rear end was jacked-up.

Now this is what I've done. Both the 7 1/2 amp and 30 amp fuses are goo. I also have brake lights so the stop lamp switch still works. I have voltage on the buss bar of the solenoids but not on the other side of the solenoids (red and yellow wires going to the leveling motor). However, when I use a jumper wire and touch the red wire/terminal on the solenoid, I can hear something (perhaps the leveling motor) run. But when I touch the other terminal (yellow wire) nothing happens. WHAT DO I DO NEXT PLEASE????????

Posted on: 2011/8/30 16:07
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
Thanks Fred. Where do I find the correct way to install this seal? Do I need to use any sealant?

Posted on: 2011/8/30 16:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Fred said As far as using a seal that is .001 larger to insure a tight fit, seals are not made in .001 progressions. They are made to certain sizes and machinery is often designed around those specs.

Fred, you sure do like to read a lot more into what I say than I wrote in the first place. I didn't say seals are made in 0.001 progressions to insure tight fits - you've somehow come up with that on your own.

What I was trying to convey was that if you source a seal by measurement rather than application, the OD of the seal should be larger than the bore into which it is pressed, and normally by at least 0.001 per inch of bore.

But thanks for the lecture.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 16:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved