Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 197

Owen_Dyneto, Bob J, Charles, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

fuel pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
I bought a rebuilt fuel pump for the 53 patrician. There is one difference between the original and rebuilt one. Here is what came off my old pump,(PIC) the rebuilt one has the hole plugged and no screw threads. Do I need that piece

Attach file:

jpg  (37.39 KB)
3750_4e5c1a2e8b03d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/8/29 18:01
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Re: fuel pump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In my opinion, not really but others may have different ideas. Packard did install them, after all. If your pump no longer has the fitting or a spot for it then not sure how hard it would be to find or make one out of modern fittings--so a consideration.

It is an air dome whose purpose is to smooth any severe pulsations out of the pump--sort of like an air chamber in the line eliminates the water hammer in a house. I guess if pulsations were really bad, it could cause the float valve to unseat sometime but not something I have heard being a common issue. Not all pumps had them and I believe they were pretty much eliminated by the 54 models.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 18:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If you want to use the expansion chamber with your new pump just get a 1/8" NPT "T". One side male, and the other two sides female. Male side screws into the outlet of the pump; a female side will take the fuel line fitting that used to screw into the pump; and the chamber will screw into the other female side. There is more than one kind of "T" with this arrangement, but you should be able to find the one that works. There is a name for this kind of "T" but I cannot recall it at this time. Simple enough.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/29 21:51
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Per JW's suggestion, if you want to reinstall the dome and can't find suitable items locally then this place has one of the better assortments of the harder to find fittings.http://fittingsandadapters.com/ I don't know if there will be a simple or single fitting available with the correct threads that will just slide in but you should be able to make something.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 22:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
We sell fuel pumps for all makes and models 1929-1980 and they all are built and operate the same way. There is a mechanical arm which opeates a flexible diaphragm. Soem early pumps have the air dome, later it was eliminated and the cars run just fine. I have no idea why they were on some cars and many aftermarket or AC brand replacement pumps eliminated the fitting for them. Sort of like an appendix.

You could put in fittings to add the air dome or you could have your surgeon put in an artificial appendix, your choice.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 22:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
I found a fitting today that will work for the air dome going out of the fuel pump. I thank everyone for the information.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 16:32
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved