Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (169 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 237

Gary Kulp, JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

caribbean carb heat shield
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
does anyone have a good picture showing the heat shield installed between the carbs on a Caribbean? I can't figure how the thng goes. I assume the round hole is for the throttle linkage and the holes of the top fit into the carb float bowl. But, the shape of the float bowl won't allow the holes to the float bowl to line up unless you bend the hell out of it.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 12:02
 Top  Print   

Re: caribbean carb heat shield
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There is no heat shield "between the carbs" on the 55/56 Caribbeans. There is the one around the front carb's automatic choke housing, and the one ahead of and below the intake manifold - this is the one that prevents the fan blast from overcooling the base of the intake manifold. Many pictures of that installation if you need them.

Attach file:

jpg  (145.10 KB)
177_4e5d195a4c2c0.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (127.01 KB)
177_4e5d19db52edf.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/8/30 12:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I assumed it went between the carbs, but am evidently wrong.
The shield I have is about 9" wide by 4" high. There is about a 1" circular hole in the lower right hand side. The top is flanged in two places with a 1/2" hole in each flange.
The bottom has two pieces on what appears to be leather stapled to it.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 12:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
I believe the bottom is flanged in two places with holes to bolt it on with the tappet cover bolts. The top ahs a piece of rubber to extend it upwards and not cut into the various lines.

The choke shield is used on 2x4 Cadillacs 54-57 and is reproduced by Cadillac vendors

Posted on: 2011/8/30 13:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Site is running s-l-o-w.
The flanges with the holes are on the BOTTOM of the shield.
The hole in the shield goes on the drivers side. When you position it this way, you can see the reason for the hole. It is to clear a protrusion on the intake manifold.
Look carefully at the pictures and you can see the placement of the shield.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 14:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
The only match I can figure out for the holes in the flanges are the intake manifold bolt for the @ two cylinder and the bolt between the four and six cylinders. Then the problem I have is clearance for the heat tube to the thermostate on the carbs. I suppose I could rebend the tubes to allow clearance. I imagine the hole in the shield is for these heat tubes. The flanges do not line up with the rocker arm covers.

Posted on: 2011/8/31 10:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You're on the wrong track! Take a closer look at the photos, and I'll see if I have something better. The hole in the shield is to provide clearance to a casting lump - no heat tubes go thru it or anywhere near it. It mounts using two of the bolts from the tappet valley cover (NOT the valve cover bolts as you mentioned!!) as previously stated - and it's a bit cozy to fit it all in there when everything is assembled. When I installed mine I removed the oil filter to give me a bit more room.

Do you see it now? Behind the oil filter and oil filler tube; ahead of and below the front carburetor - essentially closing off the air space between the intake manifold and the tappett valley? We are speaking of the same heat shield? Picture of the one I'm discussing now attached (photo courtesy of Randy Berger as I recall).

Attach file:

jpg  (113.64 KB)
177_4e5e67cc7392a.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (106.69 KB)
177_4e5e6a1306ad5.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/8/31 11:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Owen,
Thanks for the last picture. That cleared everything up for me. I was really off base on this.

Posted on: 2011/8/31 12:56
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The So Cal PI chapter reproduces all the various shields for the Caribbean motors it the event you need any of them.

Posted on: 2011/8/31 13:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here are the two different shields. (the two large ones are the same)

Attach file:

jpg  (27.87 KB)
1_4e5e7b12eb670.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/8/31 13:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved