Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
250 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 247

BigKev, 53 Cavalier, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

cone balance or lug-centric balance
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54clipper
See User information
I am about to have new diamondback radials mounted for my '54 Clipper. I've been reading that steel wheels have the centers stamped, and that they are often not perfectly centered - causing cone balancing to not be accurate. Is it worth my trouble to track down a shop that can do lug-centric balancing? In other words, are the centers on Packard wheels generally true?

Posted on: 2011/9/9 15:38
 Top  Print   

Re: cone balance or lug-centric balance
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I never heard of this problem, or ever saw a lug centric balancing machine before. If that is your biggest problem, then I wish I had a packard that ran as well as yours! ha. Surprised nobody commented on this, but I think any normal balancing machine would be fine.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 14:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The tires I have had done were spin balanced. They just load the mounted tire and wheel on the machine and the computer tells them where to add weights. That's about all I have seen for years. Aside from the old bubble level thing which I don't know if many use out here, what other methods are there?

EDIT: I do remember one place that had a motor on a floor jack thing which spun the tire, wheel and drum together. Is that the lug centric you are asking about?

Posted on: 2011/9/20 14:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I had a very positive experience years ago with the type of balancing mostly used nowadays on highway trucks where they balance the wheel/tire assembly with the brake drum. Of course the obvious advantage is that entire rotating assembly is balanced, not just the wheel/tire. The disadvantage is that rotating tires may destroy the balance, and when dismounted, wheel/tire assemblies must be returned to the same orientation on the drum. But it sure solved a bit of a shimmy problem I had with a beam-axle Packard.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 16:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I had my 75 Ford van balanced like Dave's Packard. They also bent the axles a bit for alignment. It cured a vibration/shimmy I had since I bought the van. Most truck shops can do this. I painted one stud on each wheel so I could mount them exactly the same if there was a need to remove them. Worked great.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 16:39
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54clipper
See User information
I was surprised that no-one had weighed in either...

I found that my local Goodyear is one of the only places around that has a lug centric attachment for their modern balancing machine. - So I'll take them there.

Here is a nice web piece I found that shows lug-centric balancing.

http://www.dbraun99.com/mgtd15470/On%20Going%20Maintenance/Lug-Centric%20Tire%20Balance/Index.html

Posted on: 2011/9/20 17:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved