Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 125

mjschenden, Oldcaddies , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Collapsed lifters - ever come on suddenly?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
I just spoke with a '56 Studebaker Golden Hawk owner who had the following experience. Generally good condition engine, generally running well, sitting idling waiting in line at a car show. Coolant temperature goes up, but never boiled over. Lifters started clattering while idling. Stayed for the show, engine cooled down, but lifter noise still there upon startup when cool with 20w-50 oil and 40-50 PSI oil pressure.

I've had the typical highway lifter clatter when warm, but it was usually not present upon the next startup. One knowledgeable Packard V8 member suggested "collapsed lifters." I've never had lifters "collapse" and stick on a hot running engine with good oil pressure. Anyone else recognize this symptom?

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/9/10 16:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Collapsed lifters - ever come on suddenly?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes. My 56 Executive (very original car with only 34K miles) would clatter at idle and clatter so loud it would sound like all 16 lifters were comming out of the engine. It would clatter at 40 mph too. The clatter would come and go on no regular basis. The Olds pump solved that problem.

Posted on: 2011/9/10 17:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If I ever knew I've forgotten, what the did Golden Hawk use for an oil pump? The Hudson/Nash version with no vacuum pump and a solid cast bottom plate? Or one of the types used in Packards? Or something yet different from them all?

Posted on: 2011/9/10 17:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
No, not the Nash/Hudson variant, with no vac pump, but a heavy cast bottom plate.

The 56J used a third style - with no vac pump, but a flat bottom plate, as shown below.

This pic is a cap from Studebaker Service Letter No. 936 (May 22, 1956) and shows the sump tube installed on the original design pump, for field service. That Letter also advised that a plugged version of the 56J pump had been introduced in production - like the late design pump announced in STB 56T-20 for the Packard V8.

However, I've never heard whether the Nash/Hudson variant was treat similarly.

Attach file:

jpg  (70.11 KB)
103_4e6bf9b81fb8f.jpg 324X387 px

Posted on: 2011/9/10 19:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"No, not the Nash/Hudson variant, with no vac pump, but a heavy cast bottom plate."

I have one of those pumps. IIRC the gears in it are about 1/8" shorter than the Packard pump. The heavy bottom plate also acts as a bushing for a lower pump shaft support. IIRC the neck of the pump (from pump body to mounting flange) is shorter than the Packard application.

I also have what was alleged to be a 56J pump and it has the thin metal plate (no vacuum pump) like the one picured above in BH's post.

I can dig it out and look at it again and post pics if anyone wants to see them.

Posted on: 2011/9/10 22:30
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Keith -

I would like to see them, here, for purposes of comparison and identification.

Posted on: 2011/9/10 22:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'll dig it out and post pics tomorrow.

Posted on: 2011/9/10 22:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
FWIW, all the '56 Studebaker Golden Hawk engines used the pump in the photo, but without the dip tube shown. That was a dealer installed modification per the bulletins well-known here.

Quote:
I have one of those pumps. IIRC the gears in it are about 1/8" shorter than the Packard pump.

Can't comment, as I don't have a Hash pump in stock, but the Studebaker and Packard variants all used the same body, gears and pickup. The difference was the bottom plate and vacuum pump.

If anyone would like a take-out oil pump given a post-mortem examination for wear, send it to me and I'll measure with a Sunnen dial bore gauge and post photo results.

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/9/11 11:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
When I got my car last year it was lifter noisy when warmed up. In fact Jack advised me to overfill it which cured it until the current lifter issues.

I did notice that it would be driving just fine and all of a sudden the lifters would all go bananas. Turned out to be down just enough oil, but it was beyond startling--just tickety tack everywhere all of a sudden.

My brother came by and wanted to drive the car, which I told him he could do if he agreed to fix anything that went wrong while driving. Luckily the lifter explosion happened halfway there. The look on his face was a wonderful Kodak moment! I'm still sorry I let him off the hook.

Add a pint and you are golden again.

If that doesn't work consider a heart transplant (new oil pump).

Scares me to hear this question from you Jack!

Posted on: 2011/9/11 16:53
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
For those looking for Keith's pix, please refer to the new thread,
V8 oil pump. Hash v Packard v 56J et-al.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 17:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved