Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: V8 oil pump. Hash v Packard v 56J et-al
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
missing pic from post #2 above attached. Maybe someone with a Nash or Hudson parts book can verify the numbers.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.04 KB)
35_4e6d6b27d5405.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/9/11 21:15
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What amazes me is that after over 12 years no PI nor Aller pumps have surfaced for analysis. For those of u that were not with us from about 1998 thru about 2006, i.e. prior to the introduction of the Olds Conversion, the Packard V8 oil pump and hash and 56J pumps was nearly a nightly event across 3hree different web sites not to mention all of the diatribe and ranting and raving that went on.

Wit h all of the action that the Packard V8 oil pumps got for so long we still have only sketchy ideas of what any of the service providers actualy did to the pumps.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 21:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
What amazes me is that after over 12 years no PI nor Aller pumps have surfaced for analysis.
For the sake of those who paid to buy and/or have them installed, it is to be hoped those pumps worked well enough not to have to be replaced yet.

I, also, would like to examine a Bob Aller or Packards International pump. Several years back before I got involved with the Oldsmobile kit, I did a redesign of the Packard pump. Triple the bearing area, new cast iron bottom plate with bearing and so on. They cost more to do than the Oldsmobile kit. I've still got three or four on the shelf.

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/9/12 11:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"For the sake of those who paid to buy and/or have them installed, it is to be hoped those pumps worked well enough not to have to be replaced yet."

Well ok. But just maybe. IIRC and maybe there are others that can can verify this but PI indicated in their website write-up touting their 'redesign' some 8 years ago that the OEM Packard V8 oil pump was often known to only last 25k To 30k miles. And it's not like the pump does not have a reasonably well known propensity for early wear.

Therefore any effort to restore the V8 pump "to facotry specs" or 'redesign' an already worn out pump without rebuilding would only place the service life expectency back to 30K miles or even less.

Bottom line: We're back to square ONE. Where are these pumps anyway???? I've never seen one. I only know of ONE pump owned by a man up in New Jerssee or maybe it Pennsyltucky. THis recent PI pump owned by Patgreen is the first PI pump.

I mean all of this may have started at nite but it wasn't last nite. Apparently in the many years and many engines u have encountered u hav'nt seen any either????

Posted on: 2011/9/12 11:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I had the lifter noise problem on my 56 Patrician.I bought a late model oil pump from Mike Dulinski and sent it to Bob Aller to be rebuilt. After I got it back and installed it in the car, my lifter noise problem was gone. I have a friend who had one rebuilt by Bob Aller and he has it on the shelf in his basement. He has 90+ thousand miles on his 56 Carribean but has never had lifter noise issues with his car.I should also note that I had a 55 Four Hundred back in the late 70s when I was going to college and that car never had the lifter problem either. I know of two or three other 56 Packards in the area and none of them have had lifter issues. I guess its just a hit or miss thing.

Posted on: 2011/9/12 12:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Bottom line: We're back to square ONE. Where are these pumps anyway???? I've never seen one. I only know of ONE pump owned by a man up in New Jerssee or maybe it Pennsyltucky. THis recent PI pump owned by Patgreen is the first PI pump.

I have a PI pump but since this discussion didn't happen 15 yrs ago, didn't take it apart to see what was done. At the time it was installed, it was supposed to be the fix. As I recall, the plate is thicker than the 56J pump but that's about all I can remember.

If patgreens is examined, maybe we will know. I bought one of Craig's original kits but hadn't planned on putting it in anytime soon. If a PI pump doesn't surface, then may consider the change after the other projects.

Posted on: 2011/9/12 12:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
take this for what it is....cause i'm just putting it out there.

when i started my motor for the first time (after 15 years sitting idle) it didn't make any lifter noises. it sounded strong actually.

and if you have seen my blog lately you would see the shape my pump was in. car supposedly has 47k, but could be 147k for all i know.

i have a rebuilt pump i bought from Mike Dotson, but i don't know who did it. i bought it because it was rebuilt and cheap, way cheap.

i'll probably buy the olds conversion plate for future use, but will shelf it till the time comes.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/9/12 13:33
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Question:

If the "vacuum pump" portion of the oil pump is eliminated, how is vacuum to the wiper motor boosted? Does the Olds pump conversion require electric wiper motor to be installed?

Posted on: 2011/9/13 17:56
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
If the "vacuum pump" portion of the oil pump is eliminated, how is vacuum to the wiper motor boosted? Does the Olds pump conversion require electric wiper motor to be installed?

It's not boosted. I chose to install an electric wiper and have been caught in the rain twice in 10 years.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/13 18:13
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Most still have the vacuum wipers and in most cases, they work about the same -- as well or as poorly -- as they did before. It is only on open throttle or load when they will suffer without the extra from the pump. Some with the PI fix have gone to a dual action fuel pump to supply the extra and one other poster has installed an Isuzu diesel type alternator with combined vacuum pump.

Not sure how big an issue since a lot of the washers may not work anyway but--- If you want to keep the original windshield washer action with co-ordinator present, I don't believe Craig's electric setup has the capability since it doesn't use the Packard cable actuated wiper switch. Maybe something could be figured out for the co-ordinator to mount and work an extra electric switch but that would be a project. If you can find the mid 50s Chevy electric motor, the co-ordinator will fit right on those and work. Otherwise, to keep the washer feature you will need to keep the vacuum motor.

Posted on: 2011/9/13 18:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved