Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 223

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard Radial Diesel DR-980
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know if it's common knowledge, but this rare and famous engine is on display at the USAF Museum in Dayton, OH.

Attach file:

jpg  (97.36 KB)
177_4e789500bedbd.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/9/20 8:28
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Radial Diesel DR-980
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
wow never knew they ever made any kind of diesel! thats cool!

thanks for sharing

Hank

Posted on: 2011/9/20 9:32
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hank - since you weren't aware of it, you'll probably really enjoy reading the history of the diesel aircraft engine program. It was covered several times in PAC's publications, and is covered extensively in Robert Neal's book on the non-automotive Packard engines. I believe one of the endurance records it set stood for about a half-century. The program pretty much came to an end with the death in a flying accident of Lt. Woolson who was Packard's leader of the program. Lt. Woolson & his wife (also part of the program) received about 177 patents on this program which were all assigned to the Packard Motor Car Company.

PS - interestingly, the 177 patents on the diesel radial represents about 10% of all the patents ever assigned to the Packard Motor Car Company, which shows the importance Packard assigned to the project at the time.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 9:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bozonono
See User information
Up until the 60s there was a Packard radial engine on display at he Franklin Institute of Science in Philadelphia. It may even still be there as I have not visited since that time.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 11:24
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff
See User information
I may be mistaken, but I believe there is one of these amazing engines on display at the Pioneer Village out in Minden, Nebraska. Need to double check on that! Packard held an in-flight record with the Radial Diesel.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 18:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved