Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 104

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1936 120 - Upgrade Suspension Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
I am getting to drive the Packard a bit more these days. My car rides way too soft. I prefer to resto-mod a car to make it more enjoyable for me rather than bone stock.

I really don't know too much about the inner workings of the stock 1936 120 suspenstion. What can be upgraded to firm up the ride? As far as I know the springs are original and may have seen better days......

Posted on: 2011/10/13 12:53
-

( o\|||/o )

1936 Packard 120 4 Door Touring

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print   

Re: Upgrade Suspension Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
First thing that comes to my mind is the condition of the shock absorbers.

Posted on: 2011/10/13 15:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
You should just bite the bullet and change to torsion bars....

Posted on: 2011/10/13 15:33
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
Does anyone have some detailed pictures of the 120 front and rear suspension? Perhaps just some body off pictures would help me get a good idea of exactly what I'm looking at here....

Has anyone here done any improvements to their suspension? I can't imagine that a 75 year old design cannot be improved upon in some simple ways.

I supose the first thing for me to do would be to evaluate the condition of the rear leaf springs and the front coils.

Is it possible to easily add a rear sway bar?

Can a modern gas shock be used on the car without much modification??

Thanks gents!

Posted on: 2011/10/14 9:23
-

( o\|||/o )

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you've ever ridden in one of these cars properly restored and set-up, I think you'd find it hard to think the ride or handling could be improved - they are absolutely delightful drivers.

Assuming all the suspension bushings, tie rod ends, etc. are in good condition and the alignment is on-spec, deterioration of the shock absorbers is probably the biggest contributor to the loss of ride quality and handling. The valving could no doubt be changed for firmer ride - check the parts book and service letters as there may be mention of it there. I know both the better rebuilders of these shocks have done that before, upon request. Other than restoring the suspension to OEM specs, I don't think there should be any need for "upgrading".

You don't need to add a rear sway bar unless someone has removed the original one which the car came with.

Posted on: 2011/10/14 10:48
 Top  Print   

Re: 1936 120 - Upgrade Suspension Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
Well, not sure of the condition of the bushings, tie rod ends or other suspension components. The car had been painted a while back and not restored. Just in the beginnings of the planning phase right now. As I move along I will have to inspect individual parts.

My guess would be the shocks would neet to be rebuilt. The car currently 'floats' its way down the road.....

Posted on: 2011/10/14 10:55
-

( o\|||/o )

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mal120NZ
See User information
I have a 1936 120B convertible coupe. Replace all suspension bushes, I did mine in nolathane rather than rubber, have your coil springs reset to factory specs, and have the shocks rebuilt. You will then have a car that rides and drives beautifully, certainly as good as any 50-60s car. I have driven my car 450 miles on one day with only two stops and it was a great and comfortable drive.
The independent front suspension on these 35-37 120s and 110s is superb and some other manufacturers copied it because it was so good. Seriously, rebuilt your front suspension as it came from the factory and you will be very happy with the ride.
Cheers Mal (New Zealand)

Posted on: 2011/11/2 22:14
Mal

Drive 'em and enjoy 'em
[/color]
1936 120B Convertible Coupe RHD
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
If you look at my project blog, you'll find many pictures of frame and suspension.

Your car has a rear sway bar- the rear lever action shocks are connected via a sway bar and connect to the axle with shock links rubber mounted on each end.

Posted on: 2011/11/5 1:39
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved