Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Are 180 wheels different than 120?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Packard41:

The bad news is 120 rims are not the same as 160 rims.

The good news is that you got stuck with more valuable merchandise.

The 160 rims are for wider tires and the extra weight will ruin the ligher 120 front end.

I forget the dimensions but you can call, say Max Merritt, and they can tell you the width of the 120 rims vs the 160 rims. Perhaps you got sold 120 rims misrepresented as 160 rims.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2011/10/18 17:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Not so fast please....the parts book lists both the 4.5" wide 324640 (earlier) wheel as well as the 5" wide 338700 (later) 16" wheel as correct for 1940 120's (and 160/180's). The water gets a little cloudier with the commercial wheels (234526 - big bolt pattern, 341770 Commercial, details unknown) Its really the 341770 wheel that I am curious about - what is the difference from the 338700?? While on the face I would agree that the stamping near the wheel bolt would have no effect on the inner trim ring, maybe the profile of the inner portion of the wheel itself is different as well - Packard41 can you have your restorer comment on this profile difference, if any, that might give a clue as to the differences in the two wheels you have as a further clue as to why the inner rings won't fit. As a side note, the inner trim rings were available for both 15" and 16" 1941 wheels - inside diameter the same in the hubcap area, but OD is smaller for the 15" wheels.
As my friend Noel says...."More information please"

Posted on: 2011/10/18 20:08
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Packard41
See User information
West - thanks for the very revealing photo. I was having a hard time trying to figure it out too but I couldn't remember what the inner trim ring actually looked like.

I sent a note to Glenn and Mike along with your photo and asked them to send a photo back showing what the problem is. They just finished another '41 180 a few months ago and had no problem fitting all the wheel trim on that car.

Also, thank you JD & Flackmaster for the photos and info. As Alice said, "It gets curiouser and curiouser!"

Posted on: 2011/10/18 21:13
'41 180 limo
'41 Henney Service Car
'41 Henney Landaulet
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved