Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
187 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 184

kevinpackard, Ozstatman, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: installing a radio in a 51 200
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are getting any stations, means the antenna is OK. On the coil issue, means the points were closed and you probably had the ign switch to the right. The coil has it's own separate terminal (COIL) on ign switch if using the standard Packard switch. I believe if turned to left or acc position that coil terminal is not connected and only GA is active. If you have a different switch, on a three terminal switch usually there is one terminal on in both directions and one that is only active in the run position. A 4 terminal switch has the same and the 4th active only in the start position.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 13:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
I have a three termina switch just replaced it ,I should have turned it to accy for the music THANKS!!

Posted on: 2011/11/22 16:59
 Top  Print   

Re: installing a radio in a 51 200/supressor
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
SUPRESSION!
now that the radio is back in I was looking into making it work better ,
the accesory section says that there should be a supressor in the coil cable from the center of the coil , on each of the plugs ,as well as something (a condencer )I have to attach from the ignition switch to the inside of the dash ,
it also says the hood has to be grounded ,
and there is an adjustment on the side of the radio to "tune " the antenna

Posted on: 2011/11/24 13:24
 Top  Print   

Re: installing a radio in a 51 200/supressor
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What kind of improvements or making it work better are you looking for. The condensers and most of the remedies listed are for radios where there is lots of whine from the generator or you hear a lot of ticking and static noise from plugs and contacts arcing. Those can be identified by a change or speeding up of noise with engine speed. Packard items may not be readily found but modern items are available from most audio places.

Poor reception might be improved by the antenna trim adjustment but if you just have poor reception in general due to location, then nothing much will help. The instructions and trimmer location are in accessories section of service manual.

Posted on: 2011/11/24 13:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Having just put a rebuilt 51 radio in my formerly non-radio car, I didn't have any static from the spark plug wires like I remember when I had a similar car back in high school. Course I have modern resistor type wires on the car, so that is probably what's eliminating the static. the shop manual tells you to cut the coil wire and install a resistor in it - I've done that in the past (way in the past) but didn't find it necessary this time.

Posted on: 2011/11/24 15:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

David Grubbs wrote:
The supplier is Antique Automotive Radio, inc.
Website is www.radiosforoldcars.com. They only sell to radio vendors, but you can check on the website for a supplier near you. The vibrator is about $30.

David, I clicked on the link you provided and got a "Does Not Exist" notice. I'm interested in the link as the radio in my '55 doesn't work.

Posted on: 2011/11/24 19:13
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Jim, If David doesn't have a better link, PI NW regionhttp://www.packardsintnw.com/page4/page4.html will convert yours or the ready made version can also be found at Radiodazehttp://www.radiodaze.com/category/19.aspx and a couple of other places.

Posted on: 2011/11/24 20:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you Howard, I've now got them bookmarked.

Posted on: 2011/11/25 0:11
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
tThe radiosforoldcars website works, but only if you copy it on to the web search engine. Don't know why. Anyway, the second website Jim mentioned is a better one, in that they sell directly to the public, whereas radiosforoldcars only sells to dealers.

Posted on: 2011/11/26 15:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Quote:

David Grubbs wrote:
tThe radiosforoldcars website works, but only if you copy it on to the web search engine. Don't know why. Anyway, the second website Jim mentioned is a better one, in that they sell directly to the public, whereas radiosforoldcars only sells to dealers.

Just an FYI

The posted link has a period after com leave the period off and it works

Posted on: 2011/11/26 20:07
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved