Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 6
Guests: 219

classiclincoln, BigKev, John Sauser, Tom (Packin31), humanpotatohybrid, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1947 Super Clipper idle problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Packard1949:

The technical term for your problem is called a "coast down stall". In computer controlled engines these are usually confined to problems at the air intake. That should provide a few clues.

My guess is that you have dirt in the idle circuit of your carburetor. This is supported by the motor running worse when you remove the air cleaner. I would try racing the motor and momentarily placing your hand over the carburetor. The suction will help disldoge any dirt in the air bleeds. If the car runs better then you have a dirt problem. Air leaks can also cause a coast down stall, which may be rememdied by careful tightening of the screws that hold the base to the float bowl section.

Whomever sold you the Mighty-Vac made a good recommendation as the unit is fine for checking motor vacuum. Your idle vacuum should be between 17-21 inhg. Your readings of 11-14 are low so I would do a compression test. If the static compression is good (100 or higher) then your timing chain may be worn or you may have a vacuum leak. Usually those readings due to vacuum leaks would also have significant driveability problems.

I have a really sensitive vacuum gauge that I store in a foam lined box, I don't use it except when I need to look at mechanical problems like weak valve springs, broken rings, low cylinders, and faulty ignition.

There is another possibility and that is a problem with the overdrive relay. When these relays get old the ignition interruptor sticks and kills the motor. This is that extra wire on points side of the coil. It can be disconnected and the overdrive will still work.

Posted on: 2012/2/3 21:09
 Top  Print   

Re: 1947 Super Clipper idle problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Tim-thanks for your suggestions-I know I have a vacuum leak due to the vacuum advance being basically wide open-I cannot get a hint of holding a vacuum. By plugging it up and driving the engine has not died on a coast down stall. I will also do as you suggest on clearing of dirt in the idle circuit. Currently the OD is not operational-suspect the soloneid(sp)

again thanks

David

Posted on: 2012/2/4 10:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved