Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
68 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 68

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Torsion ride motor
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

BillW
See User information
I'm getting ready to pull the torsion ride motor and electric from the 55 super pananma clipper.Do I need to watch out for anything?? ,looks to me three bolts an two tierod-end screws?
Thanks for any help and or pointers.
BillW

Posted on: 2011/12/4 17:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Torsion ride motor
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Make sure you release the tension on the motor arms before going any further. The service manual, found in the literature section on this site, will help and you can look at my project blog for pics of when I rebuilt mine and when I was working on the suspension.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/12/4 18:10
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Absolutely do as Hank suggests and unload tension off the short bars. I's much easier if the car thinks it's on pavement with wheels carrying the weight. Otherwise, if wheels are hanging the illustration in SM showing the approximate neutral point will not be correct and you will have to find the place. That can take some searching and may prove out of limit switch range.

If the motor is operational you can do it electrically by following the procedure in SM. If not operational, disconnect wires and carefully remove the motor housing. Remove the two long bolts, slide the motor and armature off without dislodging the worm screw and then turn the worm drive with a large screwdriver or other suitable tool to relieve the tension. You can feel the neutral spot or if done electrically, listen for the period where motor sound indicates it is not under load.

The transverse or tie rod end screws are probably staked and can be a real pain to remove. Make sure you have the appropriate tool.

Posted on: 2011/12/4 18:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I try to remove the inner plugs first if I can because I think that is safer There is just enough clearance to use the draglink tool to remove the plugs staked at the outer ends of the links. I usually wedge my tool with a block of wood because I don't want my hands up in that area. I purchased the tool some years ago at Sears.

Attach file:

jpg  (2.84 KB)
23_4edc2ea180445.jpg 140X140 px

Posted on: 2011/12/4 21:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved