Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 144

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

"New" Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
What do the members think of the so-called New Packard made by a company sporting the Packard name?

http://www.packardmotorcar.com/

Is it worthy of the name?

Attach file:

jpg  (37.60 KB)
3518_4edd02e63071b.jpg 960X366 px

Posted on: 2011/12/5 12:46
1930 Deluxe 8 745 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Re: "New" Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If I'm not mistaken nothing "new" there, isn't that the Gullickson Packard of 1999? Long, agonizing story. For whatever reason he refused to show it at the Packard Centennial in Warren in 1999, choosing the Cleveland area when most of the active Packard folks were at Warren, and further antagonized some of the clubs and vendors and members by threatening trademark enforcement actions on them. Made a bit of bad blood and perhaps in so doing killed whatever small chance for success it had. Modified aircraft V12 as I recall; I do have some information on the engine somewhere. It and the engineering drawings and other assets have been on eBay a few times - don't know if a sale was every consummated.

Posted on: 2011/12/5 12:58
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andrew Armitage
See User information
It's hideous.

The car looks as primitive as the company's website. Put it to bed already.

Posted on: 2011/12/5 13:45
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
'47 Packard Custom Super Clipper Eight Limousine
'41 Cadillac Sixty-Seven Series
'40 Buick Limited
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Reminds one of a generic 'jelly bean' design with no redeeming qualities except maybe low wind resistance. To bring back the Packard name would also have to include the Packard prestige and brilliance. I see none of that in this attempt. Maybe someone will succeed and bring back greatness.

Posted on: 2011/12/5 14:22
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Actually, for a 1998 car designed perhaps 3 years earlier, I thought it looked pretty contemporary, certainly looked better live than in that photo. The interior was quite elegant with plenty of little Packard styling clues. None of this means I ever for a second considered that it had a chance at success. Among the things that makes Packard appealing to many of us is the company culture, personalities, long history, provider of engines in 3 wars, striving successfully for so many years as an independent against formible $ reserves by it's competitors, and everything else in between. Resurecting the name in a new vehicle attaches none of that.

PS - my memory just got jogged. I believe the V12 engine was by Ryan-Falconer.

http://www.falconerengines.com/bio/bio_v12.php

Posted on: 2011/12/5 14:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I sure would like it if a new Packard designer would be open to the knowledge of experienced Packard people in it's development. Create kind of a depository of proud Packard design.

Posted on: 2011/12/5 14:43
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
I have to say I think it is hideous too but I didn't like to say so upfront.

It amazes me how people can throw such vast sums of money at one-off cars thinking they have created one of the greats. In all cases they look little more than home-made kit cars with obviiously sourced parts-bin interiors.

At least this Packard looked a little more complete than others even if it does look amateurish.

One of the very worst of this kind was the Panther 6-wheeler from madman Robert Jankell. He thought that he could sell this montrosity for the equivalent of ?400,000 in today's money.

Compare these to the new Morgan which is being finalised for production as we speak. This is still a small firm in Malvern, England where the cars are hand built to the highest standards and enjoy an order book stretching months ahead. Its a firm without huge budgets but talented and fre-thinking designers

http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/carpages/evagt/evagtcar.html

Could you imagine a Packard badge on something like this Eva GT?

Personally I think it would fit the heritage, commitment and passion that was Packard quite well

Attach file:

jpg  (57.94 KB)
3518_4edd291289873.jpg 800X555 px

jpg  (17.81 KB)
3518_4edd293c821ff.jpg 471X277 px

Posted on: 2011/12/5 15:33
1930 Deluxe 8 745 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That new Morgan is not a bad looking car. One thing that always amazes is they still use wood and plywood for so many structural pieces. The new model mentions a "laminated internal safety structure" so could that be code for the same construction.

This new one also mentions compliance with some US emissions standards so wonder if that means some will be coming over. Isn't that and bumper issues the reason they were no longer sold here.

The choice of music in the video is interesting. Maybe seeking a little help for a successful project but very nicely done.

Posted on: 2011/12/5 16:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
if Packard could do like Morgan is doing i would drool. that new morgan is INSANE NICE!

the thing with the "newer" Packard is that they just took crap from the old ones and tried to force it to look like something new. it didn't work and turned out gross. looks just like the bayliff crap to me. just gross, even for 1999. i graduated highschool in 99, and i would have thought this car was the dumbest thing ever made.

Packard would need to look like the GT morgan for it to even consider being hot. no old stuff....put a Packard grill on this morgan and it would be hot too, but it would have to be very sutle. the humps on the top of the Packard grill would have to be sutle.

Packard cannot go with so much History anymore as much as it would need to be totaly revamped as though it completely skipped the decades that passed.

Posted on: 2011/12/5 16:08
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I wondered what ever came of the "new" Packard 12. I've seen worse though the "Panther" certainly tops or bottoms the worst list. But for the '90s the 12 is OK.

For looks I prefer the Packard I created out of a 1:18 Die-cast model 2002 Bentley Arnage. But then again I created it for my own amusement.

The Morgan "Eva GT" is beautiful. But there again, you have the David V. Goliath tradition thing going back the the '30s that is part and parcel of the whole package. That they have survived at all is breathtakingly amazing.

Posted on: 2011/12/5 17:10
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved