Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
245 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 243

TxGoat, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Ultramatic - 1950 Transmission Fluid
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
I'll take another shot at the TC. Tried a small piece of metal in the plug hole but didn't really persue it aggresively. Not sure what I was hitting on the inside.

Not so sure that a conversion isn't cheaper. Last trans rebuild cost $2500. I can get a lot of transmission for that. Where does one get the conversion bell housing linkage etc etc etc.

Probably more time/money than I want to invest. I am currently restoring a '78 Chevy Big10 with a big block.
At least I know I will get some return on the truck
unlike the Pac.

OTG

Posted on: 2011/12/12 12:08
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Well good news and bad news.

Someone left a paper towel in the transmission and it clogged the input screen. I cleaned the screen and finally got the TC to drain. After 12 quarts of trans fluid we are back on the road again. YUP shifts as good as ever maybe even better with the additional pressure.

Bad news .. well the governor is still sticking. Well for now I will be dropping it into neutral when I stop.

Does anyone have any pictures of what the governor looks like ? I believe someone sent me something that describes how to clean it.

OTG

Posted on: 2011/12/20 15:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations on finding the problem and that apparently no damage was done. Instructions on cleaning the governor are in this service counselor

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL24NO5.pdf

Check the service index for 48-50 under Ultramatic.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/serviceinfo/catindex.php?cat=9&series=3 There are pictures of some tools and various other recommendations in some of the adjacent issues.

Posted on: 2011/12/20 15:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Glad to hear the old Ultra is not toast.

Terrible that the rebuilder left a paper towel in the pan, but stuff happens - even to the best.

Keep us posted on what you find in the governor - curious to learn if any of the foreign material made it that far.

Posted on: 2011/12/20 21:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved