Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
251 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 250

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Manual Steering Box
Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
I need some advise on adjusting the slop in the Manual Steering Box. I've got good tie rod ends but the idler arm has some back and forth slop with the wheels pointed straight ahead. I moved the adjusting screw clockwise a little over 1 full turn and it seemed to help but I don't know how far is too far with the adjusting screw.

Anybody have experience in this. Also, when do you know when it's time to rebuild the steering box?

Thanks fellas!

Posted on: 2008/3/24 20:55
 Top  Print   

Re: Manual Steering Box
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The instructions on adjustment use force as measured by a spring scale and also the removal or insertion of shims. There is no set number of turns--just remove shims if less than 1/2# and add if more than 1# and then adjust the screw to obtain 1 1/2 to 2 through center. The entire adj procedure is in Section 16 in 55-6 SM available on website if you don't have.

Posted on: 2008/3/24 21:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
I'm aware of the shimming process for the worm gear adjustment. What I'm talking about is the cross shaft adjustment that the pitman arm is connected to. The adjustment screw on the top of the box moves shaft and gear closer together or further apart. I don't happen to own any spring gauges or anything else that can measure down to 1/2 lb of pulling force. I'm looking for some seat of the pants experience here. I can adjust it, but I don't want to go too far. I was hoping someone could tell me where too far is. Also what are the signs of a steering box in need of removal and rebuilding?

Posted on: 2008/3/24 21:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unless you can guesstimate the 3/4 change they refer to

Attach file:

jpg  (68.32 KB)
209_47e86594897f6.jpg 661X800 px

jpg  (12.87 KB)
209_47e8659e82537.jpg 341X182 px

Posted on: 2008/3/24 21:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you're not prepared to do the cross shaft per the proceedure outlined and are going to "guesstimate" it, better too loose than too tight or you'll run the risk of springing the box and doing internal damage.

Posted on: 2008/3/24 22:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Seat of pants adjustment:
Locate the streight ahead position or "high spot" as outlined above. Loosen the lock nut and screw the screw in until u feel resistence. There is NO tightening or tourquing of the screw. It should turn in rather easily. Just turn it in until u feel resistance. Hold the screw at its position while u tighten the lock nut.

Test drive the car to be sure there is no binding. If there is binding then back the screw out 1/2 turn ata time.

I've used the above procedure at least 30 or 40 times over the last 35 years my self and seen others do it to. Done it on high mileage and low mileage cars that i continued to drive for 50K+ miles or more with no problems. As for Packard only one of them was a packard, my 56.

Posted on: 2008/3/25 7:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
How many miles are on the car??? CHECK THE STEERING GEAR to be sure it is not dry and needing grease!!!!

Posted on: 2008/3/25 7:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Check your lubrication chart, but all the Packard steering gear boxes I'm familiar with take gear oil, not grease.

Posted on: 2008/3/25 7:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
PackardV8- do you do this with the car on the ground or up in the air? I did it with the car in the air.

Thanks for reminding me on the lube issue for the box! I didn't see a grease fitting so I'm guessing that you have to lube it by some other means. Anyone done this? There is another bolt on the top of the box. Maybe that's for adding the gear lube.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.94 KB)
550_47e92bce8f20f.jpg 800X533 px

Posted on: 2008/3/25 11:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The other item pictured that you're calling a bolt is the access cover for adding gear oil.

Posted on: 2008/3/25 12:58
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved