Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 150

packardbill, Bob J, 29tons, Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Modern distributor for '38 Su8
Just popping in
Just popping in

occaswright
See User information
We're finishing a restoration of a '38 Su8 Coupe roadster. We've made a number of hidden upgrades on the car for touring and drive-ability. With the '38 distributor cap being so expensive, is there a well-tested modern replacement distributor that anyone might recommend. I know Delco from the era is used, but I'm thinking even more modern, such as Mallory or Accel. This would be preferably be a point-based rather than electronic set-up, but either will be considered. It would be used as a quick replacement unit for touring, and save the use of the original unit. Any recommendations?'

Posted on: 2011/12/11 23:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Modern distributor for '38 Su8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I believe that a former member was able to fit an Olds HEI to both the S8 and V8. You might want to start there.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/12/12 0:36
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

danh
See User information
A friend of mine machined a 55 chevy distributer to fit my 29 standard 8.You just need the right guy with a lathe.See it run on you tube,type in,1929 packard runs. If you need a pic I could post one.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 6:35
dan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
occaswright. Tell about the other modern upgrades u've made for modern touring.

If Danh could give us more details on the Chevy ditributor then that would be the best choice. THe Olds HEI 2nd choice.

Chevy distributors are plentyful and a dime a dozen. Replacement parts avaialbale any auto parts store. Everything else, especialy aftermarket hot rod equipment is high dollar/special order and replacement parts mite not be available 10 years from now not to mention waiting a week or longer for delivery.

As Craig indicates above, somewhere on this website from about 2 years ago Turbopacman outlined the Olds HEI distributor conversion wich would be a good 2nd choice too.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 7:42
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Danh. Many thanks for the tip and U-Tube on the Chevy distributor.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 7:55
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
Does anyone think there be much of a market for a GM HEI drop in replacement? Or any modern distributor that can be machined to fit?

I own a machine shop and have several of those distributors laying around. If I thought I could sell them, I could do a short run of enough volume to make the price reasonable.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 8:52
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I though Eric used a Pontiac Distro because of the counter-clock-wise rotation needed to match Packards.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 13:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

occaswright
See User information
Thanks to all on the replies. I'll check out the Chevy YouTube video, and would be encouraging of trying the GM HEI.One question, beyond the machining, wouldn't the advance curve need to be changed to match the Autolite? So there is more to it than just fitting the unit. I was thinking of a vacuum advance set-up. Also would there need to be some match with the coil? This is something I'd like to try and then report back on. We already have an adapter for a two-barrel Holley, and we plan on try it versus the stock EE-23. The engine is currently on its own self-contained stand, so we have plenty of latitude to experiment while the rest of the car is being restored.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 13:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You said you're only considering this because of the cost of a distributor cap. The OEM distributor is as reliable as any other point/condensor distributor and probably made better than most. Given that the car is a CCCA Classic, I'd think about preserving value and keeping the original distributor; I'm fairly certain I've seen later, perhaps post-war, common caps used on these. I don't have a swap # for you, but some comparisons of cap diameter, height to the carbon brush, and clearance from the rotor tip to the brass lugs should pin it down.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 13:39
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

occaswright
See User information
I'm happy to get more information on a replacement cap, and can post these measurements if they would help locate a good replacement. Part of what we're doing is simply experimentation, and trying to find some worthwhile modern alternatives, if there are any. The engine is out of the car, and available to testing. The rest of the restoration will take another year. Its being sone carefully and up to show standards. We're just keeping busy while the other elements of the restoration proceed.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 13:47
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved