Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 123

29- 640 Club Sedan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Need Help in Identifying Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A friend sent me this photo of his father (in white shirt) and another person by his father's Packard. He has forgotten the year and model information. Can anyone help in identifying this snazzy looking Packard? Thanks.

(o[]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (28.75 KB)
565_4ee77c39bc449.jpg 640X391 px

Posted on: 2011/12/13 11:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Need Help in Identifying Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
John, I worked a bit on the mid 1920s Phaeton pic to enlarge and brighten it. Well, its not the breakthrough but click on. The spare wheel seems to be rear-mounted or is that an optical illusion?

Attach file:

jpg  (44.13 KB)
757_4ee79a004bfaa.jpg 794X586 px

Posted on: 2011/12/13 13:31
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Gerd, I certainly get that impression. I also note that there are no front fender mounted spares. Thanks for the enhancement, the image is much better. Is there a definable difference between Packard phaeton and touring models? Seems to me to be somewhat arbitrary. I was going to call it a touring model, but decided to let the experts make the call. Still, can't read the license plate info. Anyone from the CIA or KGB out there?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/12/13 14:43
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
It appears to be a 6 cylinder 5 passenger 126" wheelbase from 1922 (First Series) to 1927 (Fourth Series) which all had that fender shape.

Narrowing it down, the tail light is not correct for First Series and from Third Series on it incorporated the word "Stop" so that points to Second Series.
The wheels appear to be 33" x 4.5" which is correct for Second Series and discs were optional for that model.
The headlights would confirm the model, if they have the Packard radiator shape on the rims then that feature was confined to First and Second Seies, round drum types were used for the Third and Fourth Series. The photo is not clear enough to distinguish this feature
The rear mounted spare is normal for all of these models.
The car does not appear to be long enoung to be a 7 passenger or any of the larger eight cylinder models.

My guess is its a 1924 Second Series 226 5 passenger 6 cylinder Touring or Phaeton.

Posted on: 2011/12/13 16:28
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

gunnison
See User information
This is either a First or Second Series Eight, 1-43 or 2-43, 7 pass. touring car.

Posted on: 2011/12/13 16:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...Still, can't read the license plate info. Anyone from the CIA or KGB out there?...

How about the German slouch hats?

Attach file:

jpg  (43.54 KB)
757_4ee7ea63bf1da.jpg 500X567 px

Posted on: 2011/12/13 19:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
DavidM, gunnison, and Gerd - thanks for helping to identify the Packard. We are getting close to nailing this down. Is there a way to tell if it is a six or eight (e.g., count the hood louvers)?

Posted on: 2011/12/14 11:51
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
The six cyl has 28 hood louvres, the eigth has about 38 but the photo is not clear enough to count. The other pointer is the head lights, all of the eights had drum head lights, the First and Second Series sixes had the Packard radiator shape on the headlight rims. The original of the photo may be clear enough to show this if you can enlarge it.
Also the tire size looks a bit narrow for the eight but looks right for the six.
I still think its a Second Series six.

Posted on: 2011/12/14 17:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
John, the upper of the both is a 1924 Single Eight Touring Sedan.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.07 KB)
757_4ee93db2436b3.jpg 752X986 px

Posted on: 2011/12/14 19:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Even for the different rear bumper and the white walls tires an equivalent can be found in our photo archive (all credit to BigKev):

"7.5x9.5 black and white Packard Co. file photograph of a 1924 Packard three-quarter left rear view, top raised. Inscribed on photo back; Packard 143, first series single eight (produced 6/14/1923-2/2/1925), 8-cylinder, 85-horsepower, 143-inch wheelbase, 7-person touring car (body type #245), note early type bumpers, 5-lug wheels.

Item # EB01d170

Photo courtesy of the Detroit Public Library, National Automotive History Collection and used with permission."

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2011/12/14 19:22
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved