Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 228

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Wiring help needed for fog lights
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
RE: 1951 Packard 200, with intact 6V charging system.

I have a set of fog lights that I have mounted on the front bumper of the car. Now, I need your help in putting together a wiring system to operate the lights. I've gleaned from some posts that I need to use a 6V relay. So, here's what else I know:

Since the lights have a single wire to them, I surmise they are grounded through the bumper?

I need some kind of switch on the dash.

A power wire from the ign s/w to the dash s/w.

My ability to follow directions is pretty good, my electrical knowledge sucks. I learn better from pictures and written words. If someone could please tell me how to design the fog light wiring system (or show me is even better) with a list of parts and directions I could then do it correctly. Thank you in advance for taking the time to "shine a light" on my project.

Posted on: 2011/12/13 13:40
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: Wiring help needed for fog lights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here's a schematic Kev did some time back on fog lights. The switch on the second schematic was a universal clamp on under dash type that had a light illuminating the switch when on. Any of the universal on/off switches would work with a relay. Just need to find something that looks good if you mount in the dash.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=25659#forumpost25659

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=25761#forumpost25761

The relay is a 6v VW headlight relay available from many parts stores or there is info in the FAQ on other places that sell similar.

Posted on: 2011/12/13 13:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Bless your heart Howard, I really did look around the forum for information. You showed me exactly what I needed. Thank you very mucho.

Posted on: 2011/12/13 14:00
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I would mount the relay up near the horn relay, and then use an inline fuse holder in the main power feed to a battery source (starter battery lug for example) similar to the how the horn is wired. Then the power switch feed for the fog light relay can be ran into the car along side the main engine harness. Mount a switch up under the dash and then tie the power to that switch into ignition switch. This way when the fog lights are on, they are drawing power on their own feed directly from a battery feed instead of pulling more current on the main harness feed. The current from the switch to the relay is minimal 500ma or less probably depending on the relay.

Since the wiring harness on a 51-54 is just tape wrapped is very easy to run the wiring along the main harness and just over tape it (over wrap it). You won't even be able to tell it was added.

Just my

Posted on: 2011/12/13 14:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Big Kev, thank you for the additional information. I like it! Please feel free to go ahead and take the rest of the day off.....on me.

Posted on: 2011/12/13 14:29
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
packardguy53 Quote:
Since the lights have a single wire to them, I surmise they are grounded through the bumper?

True enough in theory. I have found on my 55 that sometimes the bulb has to have a specific ground wire rather than relying on current flowing through rusty bolts. This would be particularly true on a 6V system. In any case, a separate ground wire cannot hurt.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/12/13 19:21
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Thank you Craig, since I'm going to disassemble the lights to replace the interior wire, I agree with your suggestion and will add a ground wire too. I've already stated that I'm "electrical challenged", that having been said, why do I need to add a relay to the fog light system and not just wire them up direct to a switch? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Posted on: 2011/12/14 12:29
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The biggest reason is you may not find a switch you like that can carry the current of the lights. Some of the general switches designed for the purpose with higher amp capacity are a bit ugly. Using a relay opens up the possibility of using almost any switch you see and like.

A second consideration --although not so much on your car since there is room-- would be the size of the wire carrying the current to the switch and out to lights. It will be larger gauge and may be a little harder to work with under the dash since it would have to carry the entire load. Some switch terminals may be somewhat hard to use with larger wire.

Using a relay could conceivably shorten the length of large wire a bit giving lights a bit more output and allow for smaller wire to the switch. If you are going to use Kev's suggestion of working off ign switch then it is best to keep the extra current of fog lights out of that switch.

Posted on: 2011/12/14 12:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Thank you Howard for the clear, concise and easily understood reasons.

Regards........

Posted on: 2011/12/14 12:59
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
Big Kev did the drawing for me when I hooked up fog lights on my 23rd Series that were on the bumper but never "fired-up".
They work great! Sometimes you can find that switch on e-bay or some other sources. God Luck and Happy Holidays to all.
!

Posted on: 2011/12/14 13:36
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved