Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
248 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 247

Phil Eaton, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Interior air vent flange or grill?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeremy
See User information
I have a 1952 Packard Mayfair and there is no finishing hardware where the air vent tubes come through the insulator. At some point in time someone carpeted over the insulator so there is just ragged carpet edge around the five-inch circular holes. Is there supposed to be flanges or grills--and if so, where might they be available?

Thanks!

Jeremy Wilson

Posted on: 2011/12/16 21:04
 Top  Print   

Re: Interior air vent flange or grill?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You should have these grills. Used should be available from many places - BigKev may even still have some from the batch of parts he had for sale. New maybe even from the vendors. The issue you will find and maybe the reason yours has gone missing is they are held in place by clips pushed onto 3 plastic studs on the back of the grill. The clips can be a P.I.A to remove and when trying, the old plastic studs are brittle and break off if you even look at them sideways. Once gone, nothing is left to hold the grills in.

I repaired some by JBwelding a small 3/16 dia aluminum tube over the remaining stub for length and used larger clips but not sure how well that will hold up. I recently learned of another procedure using springs instead of the studs and am going to try that when installing my new carpet.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.87 KB)
209_4eebffbe3e69b.jpg 386X419 px

Posted on: 2011/12/16 21:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
As Howard said they are plastic grilles and are attached to the firewall insulator pad. I may have a couple ones that can be cleaned up. Not sure the studs are good on them or not, I would have to check.

Posted on: 2011/12/16 23:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeremy
See User information
Thanks for the reply and also the repair instructions. I'll check with BigKev.

Posted on: 2011/12/17 0:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
my grills fell off he areas aroiund the studs got old and gave out ,I have front rubber floor mats in my 52 200 ,I tacked the grills back on with a little silicone sealer.does ayone remake the rubber floor mats?mive are very hard and brittle and have fallen apart rolling them back to get at the tranny filler hole

Posted on: 2011/12/17 13:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't recall anyone selling a custom made mat. Kanterhttp://www.kanter.com/eCatalog/s00054.htm has reasonably priced carpet kits that are made to order for a specific car. The material is decent modern nylon pile in several colors and weights but texture is not the same as original Packard if you are looking for authenticity. The RPO sheet doesn't specifically mention if carpets were an upgrade option on 52 200s but I know several are running around with carpet instead of mats. Cost and aggravation wise, I am not sure if carpet wouldn't be the better deal.

Several places have regular rubber matting in varying widths and patterns. Restoration Specialties is a good place for lots of hard to find items useful in Packards.http://www.restorationspecialties.com/catalog.htm They have one mat material that may be about the right pattern but is 36" wide and possibly too narrow. Perhaps that could be made to fit but don't remember if the originals were molded or cut and pieced to fit the hump.

Posted on: 2011/12/17 14:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved