Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 239

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Trippe lights
Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
Good afternoon all,
Were Trippe lights a period correct option on a 1940 1805 Club Coupe, or were they an option on the senior models only?
Thankfully,
Al

Posted on: 2011/12/18 16:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Trippe lights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not sure I fully understand your question as an 1805 is a Senior model.

I think we need to distinguish between factory options, factory-authorized accessories, and aftermarket items often installed by dealers. I believe Trippes and the like were aftermarket accessories. Thus they'd be as correct on a Chevrolet as a Duesenberg.

If I'm wrong on this, I'm sure someone will come along with some documentation to the contrary. Just looking at the 1934 accessory catalog, I see no Trippes or similar lights offered.

Posted on: 2011/12/18 18:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"I think we need to distinguish between factory options, factory-authorized accessories, and aftermarket items often installed by dealers. "

SUPERB idea!! However it is not clear to me how a "factory option" differs from a "factory-authorized accessory". this also begs the question as to wheather there ia a factory accessory as opposed to factory-authorized option.

Moreover it is not clear to me how an "option" differs from an "accessory".

Edit: Is ther some PMCC documentaion that defines "option" as opposed to "accesory" and "factory" as opposed to "factory -authorized"???

I suppose a more powerful engine could be considered an option and not an accessory unless the extra power is gotten from just a carb and a cam.

Posted on: 2011/12/18 18:47
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Quote:
"I think we need to distinguish between factory options, factory-authorized accessories, and aftermarket items often installed by dealers. "

SUPERB idea!! However it is not clear to me how a "factory option" differs from a "factory-authorized accessory". this also begs the question as to wheather there ia a factory accessory as opposed to factory-authorized option.

Moreover it is not clear to me how an "option" differs from an "accessory".

Edit: Is ther some PMCC documentaion that defines "option" as opposed to "accesory" and "factory" as opposed to "factory -authorized"???

I suppose a more powerful engine could be considered an option and not an accessory unless the extra power is gotten from just a carb and a cam.

Dave and Keith, One of the better questions of the year. What is an option and when does an option become an accessory.

Along with the Trippe lights, one could also mention 55-6 AC. The factory option to me would be the front indash unit yet you see any number of ARA installed trunk units advertised as factory AC which it would have been if it were a 57 car. Were there ever any factory 55-6 trunk units out of Detroit or were those all dealer installed accessories perhaps done at time of purchase before the customer ever took delivery the car. I say no to trunk units or it would be mentioned in manuals but in that context the customer is right in saying factory air-- he bought and paid for "factory air" and it came installed when he got the car.

Posted on: 2011/12/18 19:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thinking mostly about the mid-30s era, to me factory options are extra cost items installed at the factory in Detroit. For example, six-wheel equipment (sidemounts) and trunk rack. Usually radios and heaters were factory options. Hi-top options, special paint and upholstery options. Disc, wire or wood artillery wheels were options, etc. Just pre-war, things like the "running board delete" option, etc.

Accessories are items listed in the Accessory Catalog, dealer supplied and installed. For example, the trunk to put on the trunk rack. Various radiator caps, lap robes, etc.

I'm not aware of any engine options prewar. If you wanted a Twelve, you bought a Twelve. If you wanted a Super 8, you bought a Super 8. Postwar there some engine options like hydraulic lifters in some lower-end models but with Packard a model was in part defined by it's engine. For example you didn't buy a 54 Clipper and with an option get the 359 engine.

Posted on: 2011/12/18 19:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Dave and Keith, One of the better questions of the year. What is an option and when does an option become an accessory...

I always thought an option was offered inside a bundle when buying a Packard.

Posted on: 2011/12/18 19:38
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gusha, bundling of options into groups generally was a later development. The only "bundling" that quickly comes to mind in the Classic era was sidemounted spare tires with trunk rack.

In the postwar era, using the RPO codes on this site will clarify what were "factory" production options. Of course some, like radios, were also available dealer-installed.

I don't think you can make broad statements about factory options versus dealer accessories that cover a couple of decades of production - too many year-to-year changes. It's probably best to look at a year individually.

Posted on: 2011/12/18 19:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Guscha wrote:
Quote:
Dave and Keith, One of the better questions of the year. What is an option and when does an option become an accessory...

I always thought an option was offered inside a bundle when buying a Packard.

Excellent point but I'll throw something extra in. In the case of 55-6 AC, Packard had a kit for dealers identical to the unit that would have been installed at the factory. They made it for dealers to install if a customer wanted factory AC on an already delivered car. Is that an accessory because it wasn't bought and installed at the factory or an option?

I can almost hear the conversation: You want factory AC Mr Smith? I can do that but do you want one in the front seat like the factory does it today or I can sell you one in the trunk that is almost like the one they used last year and might cost a little less money. And with that another "factory" trunk unit is installed.

I would bet that happened with Trippe lights and any number of other options as well.

Posted on: 2011/12/18 19:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
On the senior postwar 21st-23rd series Packards Overdrive is rarely seen without Electromatic Clutch since you rarely see one without the other so possibly an example of "bundling options". I had Trippe lights on my '47 for a while and are for sale if interested?

Posted on: 2011/12/18 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
The first, inside, page of my "Packard Accessories of 1941" says:

"The Packard engineers have thoroughly tested and approved every accessory that carries the name 'Packard.' As a Packard Owner, one or more of these Packard accessory items will satisfy your personal preference for an added touch of refinement, added comfort or increased safety. Purchased along with your new Packard car, any approved accessory may be included in the convenient, low cost, time-payment plan. Select your Packard Approved Accessories from this catalog and your Packard dealer's show floor display."

Then about 9 pages in is a photo for Fog and Driving lights. Please see a scan of this page below. Read the description carefully - you may have to click on the photo to zoom in.

Very technically, in today's world there is a difference between fog and driving lights -- the lens are cut/molded differently. Fog lights (today) have a wide-angle, flat beam pattern that shines more downward toward the road to eliminate reflected glare from the fog/water vapor droplets. Driving lights (today) have a spot beam pattern and direct light far down the road, much as an extra set of high beams. In 1941 I don't think Packard made this distinction and the lights were fog OR driving lights.

Notice also that Packard spec'ed "white" or a clear lens for their "approved" lights. I can't tell you how many times I've seen amber lens on 1941 Packards. I guess that is a sure sign the lights were not "approved."

Attach file:

jpg  (481.26 KB)
436_4eee9dc01c239.jpg 1209X1805 px

Posted on: 2011/12/18 21:15
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved